Thread: Looking for an apiary site in Edinburgh

Default Looking for an apiary site in Edinburgh

Hi all,

I have to leave my site in the west of Edinburgh and I'm looking for another suitable site, does anyone know of one or can suggest asking somewhere?

I asked the Marriott at Maybury who are keen to take them but the site isn't very secure and very open. Any suggestions or help would be really appreciated.

Thanks

J

Blog Entries

I reckon the best way is to get onto Google Maps and press the Google Earth thing down the bottom. That really clarifies where there could be some secluded spot and either local knowledge or one of those tabs in Google may tell you what the place is. For example, there is a hospital in extensive secluded grounds just to the E of your previous site. You want seclusion, away from the kind of place roaming youths might cause trouble, yet accessible for a vehicle with the appropriate permission. Hospitals, big houses, I have bees in the grounds of religious establishment in a big house (can't be more explicit without revealing where!). Big posh schools, golf courses (though hard to get seclusion there).

I thought i saw an email where a couple of sights were available? Contact EMBA perhaps. If I can find it, i'll forward to your in box

Thanks for the advice gavin. I have got in touch with the hospital already just waiting to hear back. I'll be trying more of the google earth scoping this week.
    Cheers steve I'll contact emba and see what they say.

FWIW. Never found a site anywhere other than by getting off the proverbial and going and looking. Only you can know what you are willing to do with regards with a site, thinking fencing, humping, barrowing and so on. Also only you can make the right impression with the land owner. Stuff on the web can be seriously out of date which is a factor to bear in mind.

Good luck, they can only say no.

PH