Thread: Built for one shot, 6 frame Nucs

Default Built for one shot, 6 frame Nucs

I am taking some bees to a couple of auctions later this year and having made that decision the obvious question was what to transport them in. I did ponder selling off my 5 frame national poly nucs but thought again about that as they are handy, and the cost of replacing them with 6 frame ones is not cost effective in the trade of between the price for the nuc and the value of the nuc box, so.

I looked for a plan. Not one to be found for my wants, so.

I purchased 8 x 4 sheets of OSB2 and roughly the cost is approx £4 per box. They are NOT speced to bee space in that they have top space and bottom space and also space behind the side bars, but as a cheap option for moving 6 frames of bees they work.

If anyone is interested I can post up the cutting plan and a couple of pics.

PH

Quote Originally Posted by Poly Hive View Post
    I am taking some bees to a couple of auctions later this year and having made that decision the obvious question was what to transport them in. I did ponder selling off my 5 frame national poly nucs but thought again about that as they are handy, and the cost of replacing them with 6 frame ones is not cost effective in the trade of between the price for the nuc and the value of the nuc box, so.

I looked for a plan. Not one to be found for my wants, so.

I purchased 8 x 4 sheets of OSB2 and roughly the cost is approx £4 per box. They are NOT speced to bee space in that they have top space and bottom space and also space behind the side bars, but as a cheap option for moving 6 frames of bees they work.

If anyone is interested I can post up the cutting plan and a couple of pics.

PH
    I'm always interested in other peoples plans and things so yes please.

DSCF0562[1].jpg

Remember these are one trip boxes in my view so not high class works of joinery.

PH

Quote Originally Posted by Poly Hive View Post
    DSCF0562[1].jpg

Remember these are one trip boxes in my view so not high class works of joinery.

PH
    Compared to my joinery, they are masterpieces of craftsmanship...

The basic design is similar to ones that are made by a local beekeeper for the same purpose. If the colony is quite full, the extra space at each end is perhaps and advantage when the bees are shut in. Would ventillation at the bottom also be a good idea to get some throughput?
    Obviously you now need to change your name to osb2hive!

In my experience Adam a melt down is very quick and when it happens bees cover the floor blocking the bottom ventilation. So for that reason I have not provided any as the ventilation space in the roof is actually 23.75 square centimetres. Given there is a good 25 mill below the bottom bars and 10 or so above plus the space behind the side bars I think they will be fine provided I water them which of course I will before the journey and then set them out asap outside the vehicle and water again.

PH