Thread: Open mesh floor

Default Open mesh floor

looking at making some open mesh floors, is there a recommended size the hole where the mesh goes should be?

also can anyone recommend where the best place to buy the mesh is?

Just make the entire floor out of mesh and build a frame around it to give it structure. If you have a floor to copy all the better.

Where to buy? Well it begins with E......!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Beekeeping...item20d12440e2

If you're struggling to envisage how to make one I can post a pic tomorrow of one of my own home made floors using the mesh in that ebay link.

Yeah that would be ideal thanks.

Do you have some way of putting a tray in underneath
    for doing mite counts?...your pics might show this but
    Thought I'd ask

It's simple enough to attach upside down frame runners or bits of wood/ply to the side walls underneath the mesh to take a ply or correx sheet for varroa monitoring. Not claiming any credit for any of this btw - just copied a Thornes varroa floor! Pics will make all clear hopefully. Just need to go rummaging tomorrow in my stacks of unused kit.

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Quote Originally Posted by drumgerry View Post
    ... Where to buy? Well it begins with E......!
    You can also look here.

Kitta

Really sorry but the floor I was going to show you is in use at an out apiary - I had forgotten that! But it's a straight copy of the Thornes OMF so if you have one of those....

I've got a mix of mesh types and would like to check which are stainless steel and which aren't … any clue how to do this? The black epoxy coated stuff is obvious. The galvanised mesh sold by Thorne's is also obvious. However, I've got some that looks like the stainless stuff linked in the email from Kitta but I'm sure I'm sure I didn't pay stainless steel prices.

I have all 3, the epoxy coating seems a reasonable cheap option, the galvanised mesh can't take the varroa chemicals and has lost the zinc coating in a year and will need to be replaced. Stainless is still ludicrously expensive

If you get SS in bulk from the company Kitta linked to above it becomes slightly less eyewateringly expensive. I'm thinking of splitting the costs with friends.