Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: QM Honey and Apiary

Blog Entries

Default QM Honey and Apiary

Hi
    the beekeepers of Westfälischer und Lippischer Imker e.V. and the agricultural board of trade have developed a quality system for beekeepers.
    It looks very interesting indeed. And enables the beekeeper & food producer to start seriously documenting their processes so they can stand up to scrutiny in case of questions araising about the products sold. They also supply certification of conformance - which would seem like an excellent marketing tool.
    Having read the quality guidebook there is nothing that most beekeepers are not doing already (or at least should be doing already) in it.
    the main controls being :
    control of water content of honey
    control of all materials used for suitability for use in food production, wear and tear
    the control of cleanliness of all items that come into contact with honey
    the correct storage of honey
    the frequent control of pests

The documentation implemented ;
    honey store humidity & temp record
    record of weight scale accuracy
    record of filling glasses (glasses clean, what honey was filled, label serial numbers, ect)
    record of harvesting of honey (cleanliness of centrifuge, buckets, tools, when harvested, from which sites ect)
    record of bee health
    record of actions planned / taken to better adhear to the guideline.
    its implyed that stock cards are used too.

If there is sufficient interest i could ask for permission to translate this to english for use of the SBA / scottish beekeepers.
    here is the link http://www.landwirtschaftskammer.de/...rmblaetter.htm
    bye for now
    Calum

"Controll of cleanliness of all items that come into contact with honey"???
    I see bees sucking water from ditches and getting salt from cow pats.

Blog Entries

yup, but after the frames are removed from the hive, it is up to the beekeeper to ensure the quality of his or her product.
    In case of the Bull.S. of customers claiming they found rats noses in a glass jar of yours, it is very handy to have a documented process that you adhear to to ensure your honey is free of rats nose, and even rat snot....
    I think the advent of no win no charge lawyers is even worse in the UK than it is here in Germany (if the TV ads are anything to go by).
    Also a visit from weights and measures is not always the best of fun (I remember them visiting a bar I worked at).

there are more and more laws that apply to beekeeping probucts, that have not been applied in the past, but these are being applied more and more in the future...

Blog Entries

foreword (google translated)
    This guide represents thw basis for the quality standard "QM honey and Beekeeping ".
    The ever- increasing demands of consumers and retailers and the growing number of legal requirements necessitated the development
    a uniform standard for quality assurance and food safety.
    Safeguarding and enhancing the quality of honey is an important factor in to be the marketing successfully . When obtaining a high-quality
    Product, it is important to not only the final product , but the entire value chain look at.
    The present concept of quality assurance and quality management beekeeping products is the first time a standard against which the whole process
    comprises of beekeeping to the marketing of honey and requirements in the areas of beekeeping , honey production and ensure the quality of honey
    formulated .
    The main objectives of the standard " quality honey and beekeeping " are :
    1. Introduction of a common standard with a uniform evaluation system.
    2. Cooperation with the CA and qualified for the standard
    approved auditors.
    3. To ensure comparability and transparency within the like supply Chain
    Beekeepers get with this guide an overview of all legal
    Requirements they meet as pet owners and food business
    have .
    The guide was developed jointly by representatives of the Chamber of Agriculture of North Rhine
    Developed Westphalia and the National Association of Westphalia and Lippe beekeepers

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Calum View Post
    ... to ensure your honey is free of rats nose, and even rat snot....
    Rats' noses!? Did you translate that correctly, Calum?
    Kitta

Blog Entries

No it wasn't a part of the document, just an example

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Oh, just your vivid imagination. Well, the image I got in my head was quite vivid too.
    Kitta

They are supposed to have HACCP certification anyway. There is an EU directive about this. It has been issued some years ago and all beekeepers have to have it.

Blog Entries

Hi Duncan

yes this is mandatory throughout Germany. This quality guideline goes well beyond that..

When I asked beekeepers in Austria and Greece if they had HACCP - they asked back "What is this"? But it is mandatory in Bulgaria.