Thread: Poly smiths/ national mix

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Poly smiths/ national mix

Seems MM has sold the last of his poly Smiths, does anyone know if I can simply adapt the standard national. Assuming the ID and OD are the same is it simply a cut on the frame shoulder to allow the top bee space. If anyone has a picture of the top section please

So is that poly smith hive now totally discontinued?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by prakel View Post
    So is that poly smith hive now totally discontinued?
    I suppose it may be worth asking Swienty when they open again in a week. However they seem to have changed over to their new design of National and left behind the Smith and the old National both of which were linked with MM and bore the Denrosa name.

I have a couple of Smiths (by mistake! Amongst a batch of Nationals I got from Murray) and they are identical to the Nationals (old style) other than the narrower (for the short lugs) and deeper (for top bee space) cut-out. Not that they're actually cut-out, looks like the mould is that shape.

Sounds like another reason to think twice before committing to poly gear.

The longer I have with both poly and wooden hives the less convinced I am of the advantages of one over the other. Poly is handy and convenient for nucs. It may even have some advantages in heat retention for nuc sized colonies. But I'm not seeing much of a difference either in buildup or overwintering in full sized colonies although admittedly my personal sample size isn't a large one. So much so that I've been thinking I might just start buying cedar hives again. For nucs I'll still buy poly if for no other reason than cost.

On another but related note did I imagine an email a while back from Mann Lake saying they were going to be stocking National hives? Can't find any trace of it in my email and not seeing them on the Mann Lake site.

Quote Originally Posted by drumgerry View Post
    The longer I have with both poly and wooden hives the less convinced I am of the advantages of one over the other. Poly is handy and convenient for nucs. It may even have some advantages in heat retention for nuc sized colonies. But I'm not seeing much of a difference either in buildup or overwintering in full sized colonies although admittedly my personal sample size isn't a large one. So much so that I've been thinking I might just start buying cedar hives again. For nucs I'll still buy poly if for no other reason than cost.

On another but related note did I imagine an email a while back from Mann Lake saying they were going to be stocking National hives? Can't find any trace of it in my email and not seeing them on the Mann Lake site.
    On the Poly vs wood comparison, I have just removed my varroa boards after counting mite drops (minimal in 1 week but a different issue).

To judge from the volume of cappings on the boards , the largest colony which is in a poly Lang used far less (50%?) honey than each of the two wooden Langs...Seems to confirm the claims of less honey usage due to being warmer/less heat loss.

Temperatures ranged from 9C to 2C for the first half of the week, and 2C to -3.8C for the latter.