Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: SBA Hive beetle Any progress?

Blog Entries

Yes, Parkel is right in his interpretation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Calum View Post
    Hi
    this months beekeepers magazine observes that reports of the beetle are now so widespread it can be considered as established in Italy.
    It is not hopeless (they say) that it my yet be erradicated.
    Our local beekeeping Fachwart (local state expert) is not confident that Italy has the recources to deal with it. Also as the problem has not been kept under control in its first season so expect more spread as a result of colony movement (autumn and spring).

The beekeeping magazine says that strong colonies will be able to cope with this, when treated correctly (medicated), as is the case with varroa.
    It will not be the end of beekeping, but it will be another big challange, and will put much more pressure on colony survival.
    In colder climes the beatle may not be such a huge issue, as the number of breeding cycles will be reduced, so it my be possible to hold the pest in check.
    http://www.diebiene.de/kleiner-beute...tuelle-italien - older link
    Hi Calum

I have just translated the latest piece by Ritter from Die Biene. He advises 'don't panic be vigilant and report anything suspicious to the authorities'. Die Biene reports 3000 colonies have been burned in Italy so far and numbers are rising. Mike Allsopp the South African SHB expert has been quoted as stating that the outbreak in Italy is now unstoppable and the rest of Europe is at risk - only hope seems to be vigilance and immediate positive action with any outbreak.

So the vets burned 3000 colonies for nothing! Maybe they should have enlisted the help of your own local pyromaniac.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    So the vets burned 3000 colonies for nothing!
    No doubt the fear of such action had no small part to play in allowing the beetle to become so established in the first place.

It's a shame that practical observation and experience (including timescales) have effectively been lost to us due to the wall of silence which surrounds the apiaries that were living with an infestation prior to the official diagnosis. Maybe, if there'd been some kind of positive incentive to report the initial outbreak(s) things would have worked out differently. But we'll never know now.

Yes I agree that there should be a compensation program in place before the event so that beekeepers would not try to hide the presence of SHB. Who could bear seeing their colonies being burnt without any compensation.
    It also makes me think that the really cheap queens being offered earlier this year from Sicily had the incentive behind them to sell as many as possible before the gate closed.

Blog Entries

It also makes me think that the really cheap queens being offered earlier this year from Sicily had the incentive behind them to sell as many as possible before the gate closed.
    Another conspiracy theorist. You will get on like a house on fire with Eric, if you pardon the expression.

1. Though plentiful, they were not unusually cheap for their provenance.
    2. They had geared up to meet N.European demand, but 2014 was one of the best ever for getting queens mated, so demand dropped off sharply, so they had stock they needed to move.
    3. I know the main man in Sicily personally. They had no inkling whatsoever about SHB and it came as a total shock. They are still in shock and their livelihood has been destroyed.
    Last edited by Calluna4u; 18-12-2014 at 08:39 PM.

Nice to see you posting here -hopefully you'll have time for some practical stuff outside of SHB related topics too.

Quote Originally Posted by Calluna4u View Post
    I know the main man in Sicily personally.
    Don-Corleone.jpg

I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse … open mated queens €30

Good to see you here Calluna4u

2. They had geared up to meet N.European demand, but 2014 was one of the best ever for getting queens mated, so demand dropped off sharply, so they had stock they needed to move.
    There was vigorous advertising on the Internet from 2013 with a price of between 11 and 15 euros. They must be bad businessmen to sell something for 11 when they could easily get 25.
    An Italian posted on our Facebook group that the beetle is now widespread in southern Italy. Austrian and German beekeepers have been wintering colonies in the area.