Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: SBA Hive beetle Any progress?

Blog Entries

At least they could introduce a certification of health from a qualified vet on all imports.
    We have to have them in germany now even for shifting colonies between shires (like between bayern &
    Baden-Württemberg). not just hive beetle, fould brood, ect.

Quote Originally Posted by Beegirl View Post
    Will a ban be in place before the 2015 imports start coming to UK? No, probably not, if ever, but at least it has everyone thinking and talking about the problem.
    This is what I was also referring to in post 11. Four months and counting. So probably not happening.

As for a last minute ban, just imagine the lobbying from the large scale importers (including a few that plainly do have the ear of those in power) 'you've had all winter, now you're pulling the rug out when it's too late for us to place new orders with Southern Hemisphere suppliers.....'

Quote Originally Posted by Calum View Post
    At least they could introduce a certification of health from a qualified vet on all imports.
    We already have that, all imports have to have a health certificate.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pete L View Post
    We already have that, all imports have to have a health certificate.
    Thats good, pity most vets are not qualified in bees, and will take the beekeepers opinion as to the colony's health rather than risk a sting...

Quote Originally Posted by Calum View Post
    Thats good, pity most vets are not qualified in bees, and will take the beekeepers opinion as to the colony's health rather than risk a sting...
    I know of some vets that are thorough, but i would guess you are correct, Callum, to many it is just a routine tick the boxes exercise.

I know of some vets that are thorough, but i would guess you are correct, Callum, to many it is just a routine tick the boxes exercise.
    What's the point of a piece of paper if no one has any faith in it? ( other than in an American style lawyer arse covering context)

Quote Originally Posted by mbc View Post
    What's the point of a piece of paper if no one has any faith in it? ( other than in an American style lawyer arse covering context)
    None at all, it is several pieces of paper, gives someone a job i suppose. To export queens from this country the colonies have to be inspected once a month by the bee inspector, and the paperwork done for each shipment, but of course even that guarantees nothing.

None at all, it is several pieces of paper, gives someone a job i suppose. To export queens from this country the colonies have to be inspected once a month by the bee inspector, and the paperwork done for each shipment, but of course even that guarantees nothing.
    To export whole colonies within the eu only needs a one off export inspection, same as a usual inspection but a different form to fill.

Quote Originally Posted by mbc View Post
    To export whole colonies within the eu only needs a one off export inspection, same as a usual inspection but a different form to fill.
    That would make sense, as once they are gone....well they are gone.

Well yes, but less fuss than sending queens?!