Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SBA Hive beetle Any progress?

Default SBA Hive beetle Any progress?

I'm wondering how the SBA hive Beetle discussions are progressing since the council meeting & resolution?

Blog Entries

All I'm prepared to say on an open forum is that it is a really crucial time in discussions both at Scottish and UK level. The discussions that matter most regarding a spreading pest like SHB are those at UK level, largely as imports cross the UK border into England but also given the BBKA statements on the topic. There are two senior people in the SBA who link with other associations in the UK and it is these individuals who are responsible for representing the view of the members of the SBA at the UK level. The Council meeting gave the SBA a very clear steer on what it should be doing, so I intend to contact them now and invite them here to answer your question. One has posted here in the past, the other has not.
    Last edited by gavin; 27-11-2014 at 01:03 AM.

And for those south of the border … there is a BBKA Annual Delegates Meeting in January (I think) where West Sussex have tabled a proposal to support an import ban. Now is a good time for associations to raise their concerns with county representatives to increase the pressure on the Exec. Ctte. who currently do not support the proposal.

Is Rosie about? mbc? What's happening in Wales with the WBKA? I've looked at their website and can find no statement other than the announcement that SHB is in Italy.

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post

Is Rosie about? mbc? What's happening in Wales with the WBKA? I've looked at their website and can find no statement other than the announcement that SHB is in Italy.
    Comba meeting next week.

Good for West Sussex!

Any word on our own Scottish Governments position ?
    Is Aunty Nicola going to play ball or not?

E.K Bee Wrote:
    "Is Aunty Nicola going to play ball or not"?
    .................................................. ........................
    As delegate of my local SNP branch I have submitted a resolution on an import ban re., the SHB for consideration to my branch, which if accepted will go forward to the Selection Committee of the National Exec Council and again, if accepted will be submitted at the SNP Spring Conference by myself and voted on - if accepted it will be put forward as policy and could result in a Scottish ban!! The wheels of politics grind slowly but patience is the key!
    I successfully submitted a resolution to the SNP Spring Conderence in 2012 on banning neonics which, was seconded by Alyn Smith MEP, this was accepted unanimously - sadly the SBA rejected the same resolution at the AGM in that year. It is now common knowledge that later that year neonics were banned for 2 years by the EU parliament!
    Sorry for digging up decomposing bodies! I merely wish to demonstrated that such actions as going through the machinery of government can get a positive result. However I realise that time is of the essence here and the resolution even if accepted could be too late! The effort is worth making as far as I am concerned - even if only as a protest!

Its the age old problem that - those who don't keep bees wonder what all the fuss is about by those that do - most people are quite ignorant about bees and don't understand the implications of the devastation that such pests can cause. About time some serious education of those in "power" - perhaps then some serious attention might be taken of the problems faced by All beekeepers in the United Kingdom and elsewhere.

Hi Grizzly
    Eduction in high places - that is the way forward! To this end further to my last post re., a resolution on the banning of imports of honey bees. With the involvement the new thousands of SNP members at the 2015 SNP Spring conference; such a high profile exposure is one step closer.

I assume you will notify Gavin - see under!!

Gavin
    I have just received confirmation from the secretary of my local SNP branch that the resolution pasted under, will be going forward to the next stage in the selection process. As an SNP supporter (member?), I wonder if you would care to second this motion should it find its way onto the agenda of the 2015, SNP Spring Conference.

Eric

1) Conference deplores the imminent threat to the health and continued existence of Scotland’s honey bees and Scottish beekeeping posed by the Small Hive Beetle (Aethina tumida) due to the absence of a ban on the importation of honey bees from countries in which this dangerous parasite exists both within and out with the European Union.

2) Conference believes that in the medium to long term interests of safeguarding the health and continued existence of the honey bee and thus safeguarding the important pollination service performed by the honey bee that effective protective measures should be put in place.
    3) Conference proposes that an effective importation ban should be invoked regarding countries referred to in paragraph 1)
    to protect Scotland’s honey bees and the beekeeping industry from this scourge

1) Conference deplores the imminent threat to the health and continued existence of Scotland’s honey bees and Scottish beekeeping posed by the Small Hive Beetle (Aethina tumida) due to the absence of a ban on the importation of honey bees from countries in which this dangerous parasite exists both within and out with the European Union

Of course, I support this proposal. However, a ban already exists as regards the 100km zone around infected apiaries. The method of dealing with the situation has been in place for a long time. It must be stressed to members that they should not import any bees without proper paperwork -I don't think that any one in their right mind would do this anyway and I mean both exporters and importers.

Blog Entries

Eric, I haven't been a member of any political party for about 40 years. Good on you for raising the profile though.

Duncan has a point about the 'unofficial' transactions. There are a lot of grey imports and, on average, these are likely to be more risky than from those who have a reputation to uphold.