Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: SHB petition

"The Small Hive Beetle is native to Africa. It has been discovered widespread in Europe recently."
    Widespread in Europe - really- where other than southern Italy where all the infested apiaries have been burnt.

I think the wording of Eric's petition could do with some revision. "Widespread" is not a word I would have used as that is not proven. I have however signed it. I've been saying for some years that we need to stop imports. SHB is perhaps going to be the way to bring it about but it's only one among many reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    "The Small Hive Beetle is native to Africa. It has been discovered widespread in Europe recently."
    Widespread in Europe - really- where other than southern Italy where all the infested apiaries have been burnt.
    Sicily since he wrote that
    Problem is that it is widely believed to have been in Italy for some time before it was reported & may be elsewhere already
    including the UK
    It might be springtime before the full spread is revealed (Praying that it has been eliminated from Italy but the last Coloss
    statement wasn't hopeful & seemed to suggest that it might be endemic)

Picking hairs isn't helpful in my humble opinion

An immediate cessation of trade is needed until the issue is resolved