Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SHB petition

Default SHB petition

[After agreement, I've removed posts of two members in this thread. It leaves some of Prakel's questions out of context, sorry about that.]
    Last edited by gavin; 18-11-2014 at 12:29 AM.

Hi crabbitdave, would this happen to be the same vendor who's sourcing his imported packages from a larger consignment that's being brought in by a Scottish member of the bee-farmers club?

Parkel am not a 100% sure on that one and I know there's nothing wrong in doing that and everything their doing is above board, it just gos against what I believe in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by crabbitdave View Post
    Parkel am not a 100% sure on that one and I know there's nothing wrong in doing that and everything their doing is above board, it just gos against what I believe in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hi, just trying to get a fix on whether it's who I initially thought it was, as we've since had mention of the 'greyer' side of imports.

Think we're referring to two different individuals so there appear to be at least two Scottish sources already advertising 2015 French packages to the general market.

Blog Entries

[snip] ...... we might talk more about imports from France given that the SBA members on Saturday voted to call for a ban of all continental imports for 2015.
    Last edited by gavin; 18-11-2014 at 12:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    ....talk more about imports from France given that the SBA members on Saturday voted to call for a ban of all continental imports for 2015.
    It does make grim reading just how interconnected European beekeeping is, seems an awful lot of areas in various countries have received bees from the Calabria region, it makes sense to have a ban on imports from all suspect countries, of course, that includes us, we may have it already!

Quote Originally Posted by mbc View Post
    It does make grim reading just how interconnected European beekeeping is, seems an awful lot of areas in various countries have received bees from the Calabria region, it makes sense to have a ban on imports from all suspect countries, of course, that includes us, we may have it already!
    I think the SBI's have been looking closely at known Italian-sourced imports … quoting from the NBU website "Since the beetles discovery, urgent measures are now underway to measure the extent of the outbreak, complete tracings (sales and movements of bees from the area), with the intention to eradicate and control spread in line with EU legislation and safeguards. [snip] Since 2011, there has been a substantial level of imports of package bees and queens from Italy into the UK. The NBU is arranging for further inspection of colonies belonging to these beekeepers."

Anyone have an update on how these inspections have/are progressing? Presumably no beetles have been found here.

And since many of the posts on here are directed to Gavin and he raised the French imports … do we know which of the large-scale bee importers sources bees from France/Italy/Greece etc? I discussed this at our association meeting this evening (surprisingly how little many knew, presumably relying on BBKA pronouncements only) and we discussed Bickerstaffes, Maisies, EasyBees, big T and a couple I can't remember. Some of these used to sell overwintered stocks, but several/most/all now import, either the complete box or the queen to make up a nuc. Is it time that purchased bees had a certificate of origin … ideally one that doesn't say "Produce of EU and non-EU countries"!

I've just realised that this is almost certainly on the wrong SHB thread … sorry

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    I think the SBI's have been looking closely at known Italian-sourced imports … quoting from the NBU website "Since the beetles discovery, urgent measures are now underway to measure the extent of the outbreak, complete tracings (sales and movements of bees from the area), with the intention to eradicate and control spread in line with EU legislation and safeguards. [snip] Since 2011, there has been a substantial level of imports of package bees and queens from Italy into the UK. The NBU is arranging for further inspection of colonies belonging to these beekeepers."

Anyone have an update on how these inspections have/are progressing? Presumably no beetles have been found here.
    There have been various mentions of large scale illegal imports, along with the implication that there must be people who have information regarding the culprits (otherwise, how would they know that there are so many). That being the case, have they, as upstanding members of the bee-keeping community passed on the relevant details to make sure that the checks are as efficient as they can be?

Blog Entries

Paynes sell hundreds of imported queens of several different subspecies and Buckfast.