Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SHB petition

Blog Entries

Default SHB petition

Eric has asked me to put this up. A petition requesting action to prevent small hive beetle being imported.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have started a National Campaign in the form of the petition which accompanies this mail. I write to express the hope that the SBAi forum will put its support behind this move to raise public awareness of the very real danger to Scotland's honeybees.

Please take a moment and append your name - thank you. http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/462/920/171/

Blog Entries

I agree with the sentiment but petitions like this should really avoid the sensationalist 'end of the world' type language if they are going to be taken seriously.
    Last edited by Jon; 10-11-2014 at 08:09 PM.

I just tried to sign the petition but the system insists on a street name and house number. I don't have either!

Just tried again with an invented number and street - it was accepted this time.

Blog Entries

Agree with Jon re wording & sensationalism, but signed.

I don't have a house number so had to invent one.....
    Signed.

Signed
    The SBA must take a lead on this
    A voluntary ban is inadequate
    Clandestine imports can be discouraged by punitive sanctions
    If you tried to import cows infected with foot & mouth & were caught you'd be in the jail
    I can't see any fundamental difference here
    Although the wording of the petition is emotive it is a fact that SHB results in the loss of tens of thousands of bees in the US

Hi all, I agree and support the banning of these imports from the eu, but as with all things to do with the eu, it will probably be near impossible to do because of the trade agreements, and what's to stop them being shipped into France and sold from their to uk its a worrying time, as a local keeper has now started selling packages of bees from France, all in the name of profit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a local keeper has now started selling packages of bees from France, all in the name of profit.
    Obviously not a charity then.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crabbitdave View Post
    ..... as a local keeper has now started selling packages of bees from France, all in the name of profit.
    That rings so many alarm bells. I mentioned in another thread of the known trade from Italy (including the south where SHB occurs) into France. It is time we started putting pressure on the greyer side of such bee dealings.