Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mini nuc survival rate 2014-2015

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Those look closer to nuc strength than mini nuc!
    The empty one was a 'demonstration' photo initially sent to my nephew who's away doing other stuff at present, it's meant to convey the interchangeability of the boxes. Over-winter on a board above a bs nuc; put on a nuc to get further combs drawn in the spring (till we've got the numbers up to our goal figure) and also for filling food combs so that we can get away from using feeders in the mating boxes.

By next winter we'll have some better examples built (as opposed to cut down derelict supers) complete with division boards so that we can transfer two mini nucs to overwinter in the one box.

But yes, the ones overwintering as single boxes are pushing things ...a bit. Although they do have a disadvantage of being shallows but even then our climate should allow them an excellent chance of getting through to spring (as long as we can keep them out of that ever present biting wind).
    Last edited by prakel; 16-11-2014 at 11:17 AM.

Blog Entries

I cut 4 strips of Bayvarol into 12 pieces today to treat my 12 Apideas. Never used Bayvarol before and it is 5 years since I last used Apistan so the mites are probably not resistant. Should really have done this in August as some of them have a very obvious mite load. They are looking great numbers wise and I would hope to get a good few through to spring, weather and virus permitting.

I cut 4 strips of Bayvarol into 12 pieces today to treat my 12 Apideas.
    I did the same in the mini nucs back in late August using Apistan, although i don't like what i read about Apistan, never used either Bayvarol or Apistan before, ever, so gave it a go in the mini nucs.

Blog Entries

It was either Bayvarol or wait a few weeks and do Oxalic but the Oxalic is probably a slightly greater risk to the queens which is the point of overwintering them.

're the bayvarol, good thinking! If your overwintering them though, do you plan to discard the comb in the new season. Comb contamination being the major downside to fluvalinates, possibly migrating through wax to leach into introduced queencells?

I have never used oxalic trickle on them, Jon, but have thought about giving them a very small blast of from the evaporator, may give it a go on just a few some time.

Blog Entries

Was the downside not just reputed to be with possible effect on drones?

Was the downside not just reputed to be with possible effect on drones?
    And queens, through continual exposure due to comb contamination.

Blog Entries

Must read up more on that then.
    It has gone off my radar as I have not been using products like this for so long.

Blog Entries

Recently heard the SBA tour speaker Pam Hunter who was very clear on her opinions of Oxalic and she did not promote this and doesn't use herself, if I recall correctly she mentioned impact on Queens resulting in more frequent supercedure amongst other concerns. She used to be a biochemist so I think she would have a good insight to this.