Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: bee stings

Blog Entries

Are Epipens not prescription only?

G.

Blog Entries

Gavin, yes they are, you are right. - This would make bulk orders very difficult or impossible.

We'll get a prescription from our GP for the teaching apiary. The epipen can be kept on site in a First Aid box.

Doris

I used to show the reaction described in the original posting, an enormous swelling that itched like mad for a several days. I found that the best cure was two piriton tablets immediately (doctor confirmed that the only side effect would be to make me sleepy) and covering the wound with an ice pack BEFORE the swelling started.
    Then the plot thickened, a single sting sent me into anaphylactic shock but I managed to take the piriton before things got out of hand. There then appeared a letter in the Scottish Beekeeper warning of a connection with NSAIDs which my doctor confirmed as a known side effect. As with all side effects, some people get them, others don't, but there is not normally a sudden change.
    I'm afraid things have now got much worse in that I can't tolerate a single sting at any time with out taking an antidote: piriton seems to work for me and I also have epipens on prescription. The thing that disturbs me is that I am not allowed to save someone's life by "prescribing" drugs even in an emergency. That includes piriton.
    As a footnote, I don't think the bees' forage is relevant.
    Cheers,
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Trikin Dave View Post
    The thing that disturbs me is that I am not allowed to save someone's life by "prescribing" drugs even in an emergency. That includes piriton.
    I think that's particularly true for epipens. I wonder if Doris managed to get her epipen for the apiary. I have been told by more than one GP that no doctor would be allowed to prescribe one for such a situation and anyone administering one without the right qualifications would be committing a criminal act. I have also asked if it could be possible for a first aider to be given training specifically for administering epipens but was told that no such limited qualification exists.

Rosie

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
    I have also asked if it could be possible for a first aider to be given training specifically for administering epipens but was told that no such limited qualification exists.

Rosie
    My 3yr old boy has a fish allergy & the GP prescribed an epipen for him and advised me to see the nurse the following week to be shown how to use it. I have to say that reading the instructions that came with it was more useful than the demonstration. The nursery advised that they have had their training to use one which I can only assume was through the health board too. I hope it was better than mine.

Quote Originally Posted by EmsE View Post
    The nursery advised that they have had their training to use one which I can only assume was through the health board too. I hope it was better than mine.
    I would be surprised if the nursery staff were permitted to administer an epipen to someone that had not been prescribed it by a qualified medic.

Rosie

Blog Entries

Hi Rosie,

You're right. They have to received the training and then get approval from the insurance company before the epipen can be taken in. The epipen also has to have the label demonstrating that it has been prescribed/dispensed for the individual concerned plus the consent form signed by the parents. Taking all this into account, it would probably be impossible for a apiary to hold one.
    Last edited by EmsE; 12-01-2011 at 07:36 PM. Reason: gremlins on my computer

One problem with Epipens is that if you hold it the wrong way, it's easy to inject your thumb. It doesn't sound too serious until you're told that the device works by constricting the blood vessels so that in the confined volume of your thumb the circulation is cut off. The result is that you lose your thumb!
    Cheers,
    Dave.