Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Extra insulation

Default Extra insulation

I dont add any insulation to my Smith hives other than making sure the roof is in good condition
    How about everyone else ?

I'm just tucking mine in today, removed the queen excluders put the clearer boards back on with a linen cover then pack the super with old duvet's. I like the idea that the space above bees can breath without causing a draft or condensation. Come the spring and hopefully breeding in full swing the top cover can be removed and dried preventing dampness. I've mixture of poly and cedar smiths

I'm in a much kinder climate than many on here, but I've settled for about 3" of expanded polysytrene over the crown boards of my Nationals and Long Hives. But - that's only because I've got a shed full of the stuff. If I'd had to buy it, then I'd be using just a couple of old hessian potato sacks instead.

LJ

Mine are all polyhives but I give them 2cm or 5cm extra Celotex insulation on top, depending on the type of hive. They all are very strong after winter.

The trend here in the warmer south, especially amongst the more inquisitive beekeepers, seems to be to ignore Wedmore and add a layer of top insulation. Some of the old boys think it's funny because they drill big holes in their crownboards, then lift them on matchsticks every winter to make sure their bees to live in a wind tunnel.

Mine are poly hives, with closed crown boards and thick top insulation.

Wood hives with a 25mm slab of kingspan under the roof for me, I'm still not convinced it helps with overwintering but it sure helps get the bees up into the first supers in spring.

I go for wooden hives with mesh floors fully open and the crown board insulated.

Here in the sunny Midlands I use 50mm of Kingspan or equivalent all year. No matchsticks, no holes in the crownboard, OMF's and cedar hives ... and no problems with condensation (many of my crownboards are Perspex so it's easy to see this if present). I've not done a meaningful side by side comparison with or without insulation, but am satisfied with the way they overwinter and build up in Spring.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
    I go for wooden hives with mesh floors fully open and the crown board insulated.
    Same here, I do use the Thornes insulation quilts, though have found and cut some packing foam to the same size for future colonies (I get ribbed for my posh quilts around here). Just put on the smaller colonies this week with the change of temp.

I couldn't operate without holes in the crown board - to give 'em syrup, fondant, even pollen subs without cracking open the hive ... it's easy enough to tape a film of plastic over during wnter - yet another use for Tesco's ice-cream cartons ...

LJ
    ("Put it in the trolley dear, I need another carton ...")