Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What happens next? The Bees probably know but they're not telling...

Blog Entries

Are you in a local association with someone there who could act as a mentor? You might find that reassuring when sorting things out. Even a spare bod to handle the smoker's a help. Speaking of which, I'm just on my way out to check my lot - 7 days since I last did them!

Well I moved the hives last night, bees didn't like the disturbance much, but settled down ok. Hopefully everyone is in the right place now...New queen plus with small amount of bees on old site, original hive with huge amount of bees and queen cell on new site. Will keep an eye on activity today (must fit some work in somewhere!). Hives are only 2 or 3 feet apart by the way.

Regarding local association, nearest is Oban and it seems very quiet - used to be loads of ads of activities and meetings before I got the bees, now nothing. Will try contacting, but can't imagine folk coming 30miles to here... Have a neighbour who used to keep bees but became allergic so can't go near them, husband spoke to him last night and happy to give advice. Could certainly have done with a hand moving the hives - weigh a ton when full of bees don't they.

Blog Entries

I've sent you a message. Quite agree moving hives is a two person job - for the sake of doing it smoothly without unsettling the bees, if nothing else!

Quote Originally Posted by Trog View Post
    I've sent you a message. Quite agree moving hives is a two person job - for the sake of doing it smoothly without unsettling the bees, if nothing else!
    Came up with a method of placing a small table about hive height between two hives, putting the fullest hive as gently as poss onto it (ow my back!), then moving light hive to original stand, lastly heavy hive to second hive stand. Will be finding a bee suit for husband so he can help next time!

Bees seem to be happily coming and going from both hives now, will check all is ok with queen tomorrow and maybe stick another couple of empty frames in before weather cracks up on Thursday.