Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SAF Natura Extractor

Good afternoon Castor,
    we thought we had a great deal when we purchased a SAF extractor in the Beverley Beekeepers sale, only when we tried to spin the BS supers they kept falling over. Are you able to explain how you made the clips to hold the frames in place?
    Many thanks in anticipation.

Hello husband's gofor (gofer?) ... I've got one of these extractors and the super frames fit well in the resin cage.

20140831-0038.jpg

Remembering that cells slope upwards ... the top bar goes at the outside, slotted into the recesses in the outer top and bottom cage. The bottom of the frame is balanced in the recess on the inner resin ring, visible at the bottom of the picture above. The pic below has a blown frame, but you can see some frames loaded behind it.

20150713-16-2.jpg

I'm very pleased with this extractor.

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post

20150713-16-2.jpg

I'm very pleased with this extractor.
    That a blown frame in the second jpeg?
    I had lots of of frames blow in my old 9 frame extractor that I put down to their newness. And no I didn't go to max speed immediately....let 'em balance themselves out on lower speeds first...but they still blew.
    Changed to 20 frame extractor which is noticeable more gradual acceleration up to any of the 10 speed settings and (fingers crossed) have not blown any so far. Plus the g forces are much higher. I'm pondering whether the time taken to get up to speed might be the factor in blowing frames...of course I could be speaking too soon
    Last edited by Thymallus; 02-06-2018 at 04:39 PM.

I usually lose one or two a season, often because of a patch of crystallised OSR in an otherwise extractable frame.
    Any mention of a 20 frame extractor would find me condemned to the 'naughty corner' for a month

You using thick, wired or thin cut comb as foundation?
    I should have pointed out as a natural Tyke I use solely cut comb foundation (cheapest) for all my supers so perhaps a little more fragile in it's early life.

Usually thick wired, but increasing amounts are foundationless. I suspect the pic is of the former, it was a couple of years ago and I've erased those memories to try and make more space.