Thread: SAF Natura Extractor

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

In fairness it's only the stainless steel screens for extracting from 'deeps' that need modification, and then only if you don't use Langstroths. The castors/sponge feet are simply to reduce me needing to do the "extractor hug dance" round the kitchen with a poorly balanced load. In retrospect, since I've never run it with the tap closed, the plastic one is probably just fine. What I'd like is a nice stainless steel tap on my settling tank ...

I've got some pics somewhere if needed.

Blog Entries

Just to clarify: this extractor will take BS super frames without modification? And does the rewiring simply involve changing the plug? Don't want to make an expensive mistake ... Has anyone tried it with the optional tank that sits below the extractor?
    Last edited by Trog; 10-10-2014 at 10:59 AM. Reason: typo - time I got new glasses ;)

Hi Trog
    Yes and yes to your first two questions. Very straightforward.

"optional bank" … do you mean the mellower and strainer? i.e. the dirty great tank that sits underneath in place of the legs. I've not, on this model. However, I had a Lega manual tangential 4 framer with the strainer and tank previously. I'd make the following observations; 1) the base is narrower so stability can be an issue, the legs are definitely better; 2) the strainer is often (I've not seen the Saf Natura, this applies to the Lega) very coarse and honey will definitely need further attention before sale, unless you have a good market for honey with an emulsion of capping wax.

Remember that the extractor probably can't be used without the mellowing tank … they usually have holes in the base for the honey to flow through.

I extract directly into plastic buckets through a coarse and fine filter. I use hot air to remove cappings. The filter clogs after about 15-20 supers or so. If I wanted a mellowing tank (I do, but no £££ ) I'd definitely buy a separate one.

If the optional bank you refer to is something different I apologise.

PS "optional tank"? D'oh! Just realised
    Last edited by fatshark; 09-10-2014 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Typo realisation moment

Blog Entries

Brilliant! Thanks, sharkie! Will buy a separate tank, assorted filters and lots of buckets!

There's someone confident of a good season

Blog Entries

We've 17 supers to extract this year (tend to extract late due to nature of honey season here)! Other members of the assoc have done well, too. Brilliant summer on Mull which continued well into September and still mild - bees still bringing in pollen!