Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SAF Natura Extractor

Default SAF Natura Extractor

Hello,

I'm researching these on behalf of my local association. Anyone have experience of them, particularly the 'Ritmo' model (for nine shallow frames), in either the motorised or hand-cranked versions.

Thanks in advance,

GB

I have one of their small ones. Does exactly what is says on the tin, however I had to make up some stainless clips to hold BS frames correctly (I think it was made for Langstroth), and after extracting a few frames it has to be drained because the long ears of the national frames are dragging in the honey in the bottom.
    I need to do some more metalworking to resolve that.....however my extraction slave/wife is lobbying hard for a motorised one.....
    The injection moulded lid initially appears a bit fragile, but it's been knocked about a fair bit now without damage.

Gordon on Iona (you lucky chap) … I've got the motorised Ritmo, 9 frame radial. I run it with the gate open so have no problem with the relatively small volume below the cage. As Castor says (or as I understand him), the supports for the tangential brood frames are Langstroth-sized and need minor butchering. However, I've not bothered yet … I save these frames for making up nucs.

The internal cage is resin but seems both strong and well made. I've used the equivalent Thornes model (polythene not stainless) and prefer the Saf Natura (a valid comparison as the prices probably aren't too different). The stainless steel is well finished, with no ragged or exposed edges (unlike the Abelo equivalent I looked at at a show somewhere - might have been a dud/Friday afternoon build). The motor makes the same sort of odd whirring noises when slowing down. Reversible, but there's nothing to stop you slamming it into reverse when at full speed, other than a sticky label on the top. I agree with Castor that the lid appears flimsy, but have had no problems (though see long-term comment below) and the motor cut-off engages well. Only one side of the lid lifts, though both are hinged, due to the position of the motor. Mine came with a European plug and needed rewiring before use.

I bought mine from Bee Equipped and picked it up in person. Their pricing is very good. Note however that the model they display on their website wasn't (it may be now, I've not checked) the one they sell. The images they had were of the digital/programmable model. I got the bog standard manual one and - frankly - my frames are sufficiently unevenly filled to not benefit from any automation.

The legs appear sturdy and there are no exposed bolt heads or anything that suggests significant corners have been cut during design or construction. The gate supplied is plastic, but reasonably good quality. I'll be replacing mine with stainless in due course probably. I need to look at adding castors or soft rubber feet to help stop the wobble with uneven loads … Rosie has posted on ways to do this. The feet are drilled for this type of mod. It's easy to wash out with a cold water hose, though the underside of the lid is tricky to dry off … I usually hang a hairdryer in it on a low setting for half an hour.

Note that I've only had this model for one season, so can't comment on longevity or spare parts etc. I've probably used it to spin about 400+ frames in total, in two sessions (OSR and summer). I've had only one frame 'explode' … a incompletely drawn foundationless frame which I was stupid enough to try and extract from. I'm extremely pleased I chose a motorised version. Doing that lot manually would be little fun. I have no reason not to think it'll last for years and bought it expecting it to outlast my beekeeping. The upfront cost - for an amateur - makes it one of the more expensive items we use, but over 20+ years it should more than pay for itself.

Dot at Bee Equipped told me they'd been selling these for over a decade with no problems other than some packaging issues on shipping which I believe are now resolved; certainly the box I collected it in was very solid.

Drop me a PM if you have any more specific Q's.

Thanks both. Interesting that you both want to make some minor alterations! Glad though that neither have reported any problems. I'm really seeking some reassurance and, currently, I feel reassured!

In fairness it's only the stainless steel screens for extracting from 'deeps' that need modification, and then only if you don't use Langstroths. The castors/sponge feet are simply to reduce me needing to do the "extractor hug dance" round the kitchen with a poorly balanced load. In retrospect, since I've never run it with the tap closed, the plastic one is probably just fine. What I'd like is a nice stainless steel tap on my settling tank ...

I've got some pics somewhere if needed.

Blog Entries

Just to clarify: this extractor will take BS super frames without modification? And does the rewiring simply involve changing the plug? Don't want to make an expensive mistake ... Has anyone tried it with the optional tank that sits below the extractor?
    Last edited by Trog; 10-10-2014 at 10:59 AM. Reason: typo - time I got new glasses ;)

Hi Trog
    Yes and yes to your first two questions. Very straightforward.

"optional bank" … do you mean the mellower and strainer? i.e. the dirty great tank that sits underneath in place of the legs. I've not, on this model. However, I had a Lega manual tangential 4 framer with the strainer and tank previously. I'd make the following observations; 1) the base is narrower so stability can be an issue, the legs are definitely better; 2) the strainer is often (I've not seen the Saf Natura, this applies to the Lega) very coarse and honey will definitely need further attention before sale, unless you have a good market for honey with an emulsion of capping wax.

Remember that the extractor probably can't be used without the mellowing tank … they usually have holes in the base for the honey to flow through.

I extract directly into plastic buckets through a coarse and fine filter. I use hot air to remove cappings. The filter clogs after about 15-20 supers or so. If I wanted a mellowing tank (I do, but no £££ ) I'd definitely buy a separate one.

If the optional bank you refer to is something different I apologise.

PS "optional tank"? D'oh! Just realised
    Last edited by fatshark; 09-10-2014 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Typo realisation moment

Blog Entries

Brilliant! Thanks, sharkie! Will buy a separate tank, assorted filters and lots of buckets!

There's someone confident of a good season

Blog Entries

We've 17 supers to extract this year (tend to extract late due to nature of honey season here)! Other members of the assoc have done well, too. Brilliant summer on Mull which continued well into September and still mild - bees still bringing in pollen!