Thread: allergy to stings?

Default allergy to stings?

I was re-sighting two hives and got stung twice, on both middle fingers so I think they were trying to tell me something. I am not sure they managed to get any venom in as it only left a white mark that went away within 10 minutes. A few days later as I was leaving the apiary one got me ninjas style on the stomach through a thin t-shirt. This sting was good and proper going red, itchy and inflamed which lasted 2-3 days. I am hoping this is normal as I have not been stung since a child, so I am not sure what to expect.

Blog Entries

That's pretty normal and the stomach is a sensitive area to get stung in. Wait till you get a sting inside the nostril.

Blog Entries

Jon - did you get stung up the nose ?

Blog Entries

Yep. I was checking an apidea to to see if the queen had emerged from the cell and as I removed it a bee came out like a missile and embedded itself in my nostril. Sure makes the eyes water. Worse still, it was not even one of my own apideas!

Blog Entries

Thankfully i have not been stung in any sensitive areas yet. I knew someone that had a bee stuck in his ear and needed hospital treatment to get it out, I think they drowned it with soapy water then extracted with tweezers, no stings were involved

Default Ninja bees

Thanks for the replies, I was worried my new hobby was starting on the wrong foot. I will be trying to dodge them a bit better in future.

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

As a child I've been told that if a bug creeps into your ear, turn that ear heaven-wards because the bug will always crawl upwards. But honey bees are burrowing insects. I've seen them burrow down into the grass when I've accidentally dropped a frame. So what should you do when a honey bee crawls into your ear? Turn your ear up or down?
    Kitta
    Last edited by Mellifera Crofter; 15-09-2014 at 05:51 PM.

I would opt for running around screaming and then demand to be taken to A+E.

Blog Entries

LOL! I might be dashing for the nearest bottle of neonics, if I could find one.