Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New Queen (I think) but no drones

Quote Originally Posted by Mellifera Crofter View Post

PS: If a hive really is queenless in September, and there aren't any drones about, will they still make queen cells?
    I'm sure they will - and they don't know that there aren't any drones about.

Now have outcome for original query. Was pretty sure that hive was queenless and was going to unite with another. When I opened them up they also were queenless but had created lots of queen cells! Put a frame with one of these q.c.s into the original hive for a few days to see if they would tear it down. They didn't so I now had two queenless hives. Luckily a friend had a spare queen which I bought. Have now united the two colonies and the queen has been successfully introduced. All ready to go into the winter!

Hi Rowie
    That was really bad luck losing two queens still its good to know you have fixed the problem thanks for the update

Blog Entries

Loads of people have contacted me looking queens after MAQS treatment. This has definitely been a problem and my own limited experience using it on 10 colonies this year has not been positive.

Its probably ok in honey season as I think folk inc yourself jon might have pointed out.
    Bit risky as an autumn treatment though

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Rowie View Post
    ... When I opened them up they also were queenless but had created lots of queen cells! Put a frame with one of these q.c.s into the original hive for a few days to see if they would tear it down. They didn't so I now had two queenless hives. ...
    Thanks for the update, Rowie. I'm glad you're sorted now.

You've also shown that any doubts I might have had about bees drawing out queen cells in September was unfounded. Jon and Adam were right.
    Kitta