Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 LastLast

Thread: Small Hive Beetle in mainland Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Black Comb View Post
    Just read our ADM's report of the meeting. It appears the West Sussex proposal was voted through so let's see what the executive does now.
    I haven't yet seen a "BBKA Calls for a Ban on Bee Imports" in any of the 'papers yet.....

Amendment : However the report of the ADM (p106) states that the executive "does not consider it to be appropriate to seek ... a ban"

http://www.bbka.org.uk/files/library...1417000965.pdf
    Last edited by Adam; 21-02-2015 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Amendment.

Peterborough, and into the flatlands to the north and east ...

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    I haven't yet seen a "BBKA Calls for a Ban on Bee Imports" in any of the 'papers yet.....

Amendment : However the report of the ADM (p106) states that the executive "does not consider it to be appropriate to seek ... a ban"

http://www.bbka.org.uk/files/library...1417000965.pdf
    One option is to do what a lot of executives do in this position when they disagree with the people they are supposed to represent, organisationally ignore it.

This usually involves silence, arguing the meaning of the proposition, arguing why even if they did do something it wouldn't make a difference, reinterpreting it to suit their existing view, establishment of a sub-committee to discuss the proposition and the appropriate response, .... repeat until no longer required or appropriate.

I'm sure the BBKA wouldn't do that. We must be about to hear, since the proposition did mention BBKA should "urgently seek a ban" and it has been passed.

Blog Entries

Reading through that was interesting, not just the EC response to the members' wishes on small hive beetle as voted on at the main opportunity for democracy in the organisation, but several other examples too. I think all beekeeping members organisations should be looking at the mechanisms they have for assessing members' wishes and also how they use that guidance to prepare themselves for rapid decision making. Otherwise you just end up with an elite making their own decisions and then later trying to rebuff criticisms from the membership that they've been ignored. I suspect that there is a tendency in that direction in most beekeeping organisations, but the BBKA seem to be masters at it.

So - for BBKA members - what now? Will they just sit back and accept the organisation's 'official' view on SHB and imports?

Yes it does seem an odd position given the comment in the very text that the EC quote:
    "While introduction of SHB via fruit has been assessed as a possible pathway, the most likely (i.e. highest risk) route of entry to the UK is still considered to be via movement of honey bees: queens and packaged (worker) bees for the purposes of trade."

The EC of BBKA are getting themselves into the position of second guessing the legal position, rather than representing the members views. Yes, it may not currently be easy to get a ban because of the rules, but that isn't a reason for saying nothing - which is implicitly accepting the reasonableness of those rules and not pushing for change.

What can BBKA members do? As you say, this was the route for democracy and the organisation's view is that it should "urgently seek a ban". It is unfortunate that this doesn't seem to be being followed, it can't help BBKA's efforts to get more members involved when it doesn't appear (as yet) to be representing their wishes.

Given in the main part in England we're members of associations that are themselves members of the BBKA, it all feels somewhat removed to me.

Is it any different north of the border?

David

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wmfd View Post
    Yes it does seem an odd position given the comment in the very text that the EC quote:
    "While introduction of SHB via fruit has been assessed as a possible pathway, the most likely (i.e. highest risk) route of entry to the UK is still considered to be via movement of honey bees: queens and packaged (worker) bees for the purposes of trade."
    Contrast that statement with this from the third of three Press Releases from the BBKA where they continue to play down the risks from bee movements and indicate that they are more worried about fruit and plants:

'However, it is important to understand that the greatest risk of
    undetected entry of SHB into the UK is not likely to be with honeybees but in imported fruit, vegetables and other plant materials. '

It hardly inspires confidence. I suppose that from a position of total trust in the effectiveness of official measures and the total lack of any dodgy dealings in the bee trade industry, that might be justifiable. But who believes either of those?

You are absolutely right about second guessing the legal position. That should not be the function of members' organisations, they should be pressing for action (any legal action) that protects their members' interests and wishes. Without any push at all (or with only a push from one corner of the UK) the regulators see no point in being inventive.

The SBA is more directly a members' organisation and jetisoned the system of government (and membership) via local associations aeons ago, before I was a beekeeper. So the leaders are more directly in touch with the membership at annual meetings, but in my humble opinion it has not been that good at asking for, listening to and acting upon the members' wishes. It could be better at it. Folk probably feel more in touch with the SBA as there are business meetings twice a year to which ordinary members are welcome, and most of those at the top table do go round the local associations giving talks and making visits. We also have a number of other events through the year where members can get involved and mix with some of those making decisions. Maybe that goes on too south of the border, I'm not sure. In some ways the BBKA is in a different position as it has a much larger membership which means a democratic approach and engagement with the membership is harder. However that ADM report seems to show an organisation that doesn't look to its membership to guide its policies in any way.

Blog Entries

If people are going to import packages from Southern Italy we will have SHB this year for sure. There is no way a health cert can 100% guarantee lack of beetles in a package. Health certs typically involve very little. A check for foulbrood in the exporting apiary, sometimes samples taken for nosema testing. Those who claim that a health cert guarantees healthy disease free bees are being disingenuous. A health cert will tell you nothing at all about virus or virus loads in the bees you are importing.

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    Contrast that statement with this from the third of three Press Releases from the BBKA where they continue to play down the risks from bee movements and indicate that they are more worried about fruit and plants:

'However, it is important to understand that the greatest risk of
    undetected entry of SHB into the UK is not likely to be with honeybees but in imported fruit, vegetables and other plant materials. '

It hardly inspires confidence.
    No, it all seems contradictory.

You are absolutely right about second guessing the legal position. That should not be the function of members' organisations, they should be pressing for action (any legal action) that protects their members' interests and wishes. Without any push at all (or with only a push from one corner of the UK) the regulators see no point in being inventive.
    Yes, it is surprising what can be done by regulators and legislators when the pressure is on. Suddenly things that were impossible are achieved through creative thinking, or simply saying 'sod the rules' as the French did (although presumably in French) with BSE.

The SBA is more directly a members' organisation and jetisoned the system of government (and membership) via local associations aeons ago, before I was a beekeeper. So the leaders are more directly in touch with the membership at annual meetings, but in my humble opinion it has not been that good at asking for, listening to and acting upon the members' wishes. It could be better at it. Folk probably feel more in touch with the SBA as there are business meetings twice a year to which ordinary members are welcome, and most of those at the top table do go round the local associations giving talks and making visits. We also have a number of other events through the year where members can get involved and mix with some of those making decisions. Maybe that goes on too south of the border, I'm not sure. In some ways the BBKA is in a different position as it has a much larger membership which means a democratic approach and engagement with the membership is harder. However that ADM report seems to show an organisation that doesn't look to its membership to guide its policies in any way.
    That does sound a better structure, and they sound like they are trying. I haven't heard of ordinary member meetings here, maybe they just don't invite me. ;-)

To be fair to the BBKA, it is always going to be harder for people to feel engaged with a much larger organisation, but that should mean being more responsive when the membership is clear in its view.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    If people are going to import packages from Southern Italy we will have SHB this year for sure.
    I fear that you could extend this to imports from the places that either overwintered their bees in Southern Italy or imported nucs from Southern Italy last year. There was clearly a long period when the beetle went unnoticed … if it's already in Germany or France, for example, then the horse has already bolted.

We've been over this ground before and there appears little movement from the national associations. The BBKA stance is particularly disappointing. Previous importations have, I believe, all been with bees or bee products. NBU analysis indicates that bees/equipment/products are the real threat (risk analysis posted elsewhere in this thread).

I was fortunate to again hear Michael Palmer give his Sustainable Apiary talk this weekend … what he preaches should and could be expanded to cover a entire country.

Blog Entries

Locally the export health cert involves a check for foulbroods, mite levels and not much more. Our Department in NI where samples are sent (AFBI)can also check for nosema and acarine.
    Noone is going to be looking at virus and even the known viruses often have a series of variants which will vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.
    I wonder how much time and effort a place like Greece, a major exporter of bees and queens, is likely to be investing in export checking.
    May well have other priorities at the moment.

http://www.bbka.org.uk/files/pressre...1424684197.pdf

Looks like the BBKA aren't convinced by health certificates either.

I don't know whether to laugh - they seem to be moving, albeit slowly.

Or cry - this isn't a surprise and we still don't have a statement in line with the ADM.

David