Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Small Hive Beetle in mainland Europe

Blog Entries

Mentioned today at the BIBBA/SICAMM conference here in Wales by someone linked to a knowledgeable source: 'up to 50% of hives being looked (in the area of concern in Italy) at have SHB'. Also they repeated concerns about bee movements between S and N Italy.

Sent from my BlackBerry 8520 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Hard to believe given the numbers of hives that none has noticed til now - What does 50% represent?

Below is a link to the latest official report on the SHB outbreak in Italy (found on the EU reference laboratory website) I think the 50% quote relates to the number of hives being inspected, not the number found positive...

https://sites.anses.fr/en/minisite/a...uthern-italy-0
    Last edited by mazza; 26-09-2014 at 05:54 PM. Reason: additional info added

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mazza View Post
    I think the 50% quote relates to the number of hives being inspected, not the number found positive...
    From my understanding, 5 apiaries were visited near to where the 5th sept. beetles were found. In each of these 5 apiaries, between 20% and 50% of the hives were inspected and traps were placed. In one of the apiaries, 2 km from the first, 7 adult beetles were collected. The next day, the remaining 41 colonies of this apiary were inspected. In 12 of the hives a further 18 adults were found.No larvae were found. The apiary was to be destroyed.

Gavin was aware of this information, so he probably ha a more recent source
    Last edited by chris; 26-09-2014 at 07:06 PM. Reason: had to put the hens away before I'd finished

Blog Entries

Thanks Mazza.

OK, something else (thanks Chris) which shows the location of the two confirmed positive apiaries. They do seem rather far apart and neither is particularly close to the port from where everyone would like to think this started (in which case stamping it out might still be possible). But it does seem to have dispersed quite far ... (nah, I was looking at the scale on the other map ... a couple of km only)

From: http://www.plateforme-esa.fr/index.p...ida&Itemid=328
    Last edited by gavin; 27-09-2014 at 10:44 PM.

Blog Entries

On the first map the pink area represents the zone where a programmed inspection of ALL apiaries should be taking place.(Decided after the 5th sept. discovery).
    On the 2nd map, the blue area represents where further inspections will be carried out, based on risk factor and random choice to start with.(Decided after the 17th sept. discovery).

There seems to be more concern about the movement of non sedentary hives rather than nuc and queen selling.

Blog Entries

Got to say that given their keenness to publish any old tosh about bees as environmental news that the Guardian and the BBC in particular have impressed me with their coverage of an actual, honest to god, story of relevance to 'Issues faced by honey bees'.

The level of in depth, yet balanced, coverage of just what the discovery of SHB could mean for european beekeeping has taken me by surprise, especially the well researched and presented analysis from Monbiot in the Guardian.

Blog Entries

Default Small Hive Beetle in mainland Europe

Just to be clear ... all I can be sure about is what has been officially reported above. The comment on 50% doesn't fit with the official record and did sound at the time like something new. However I haven't been able to discuss this with the source, so treat it sceptically for now. I guess those of us listening were hoping to hear some significant progress from those inspections in that 20km circle in the last couple of weeks and thought this was it. Maybe not.

Sent from my BlackBerry 8520 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by gavin; 27-09-2014 at 10:23 AM.

Blog Entries

If you look on google maps that whole area is covered with citrus fruit trees, (oranges). If bees were brought in for pollination and that is a likely source or means to transfer any existing beetles then there is an even bigger distribution of beetles that is as yet unreported.

Quote Originally Posted by Neils View Post
    The level of in depth, yet balanced, coverage of just what the discovery of SHB could mean for European beekeeping has taken me by surprise, especially the well researched and presented analysis from Monbiot in the Guardian.
    I thought much the same, their silence is deafening.