Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19272829

Thread: Small Hive Beetle in mainland Europe

What's particularly disappointing is that they didn't even take the opportunity to voice their opposition to imports generally … this email will have gone to the new crop of enthusiastic young beekeepers. These are the ones desperate for bees having trained over the winter. Arguably they're also the least likely to find any 'passengers' in their colonies (though I fully accept that even beekeepers with many years experience are often poor at identifying pathogens and disease). The Sussex BKA proposal was supported at the ADM got a brief mention in last months newsletter (a very brief mention).

Blog Entries

The UBKA has also someone going round the associations telling them how to deal with beetles when they arrive.
    The Native Irish Honeybee Society (NIHBS) is clear in its call for a ban on imports to the island of Ireland.
    Contact has been made with ministers north and south of the border but there seems to be no appetite anywhere to take any measures.

It's interesting (for which, read 'depressing') that when I talk at associations and discuss the risk of SHB importation I've yet to meet a 'rank and file' member who isn't concerned at the apparent lack of action by the national associations. Of course, it's only an interested subset of members that attend winter association talks …

Chris Slade's latest bee blog (April 12. 2015):

A dozen of us were there in time to eat our picnic lunches and natter for a while before officially starting. The short straw had been handed to Martin Hann, the local Bee Inspector who had spent the last week being updated by his (ex FERA but I can’t remember their current name) organisers at Sand Hutton near York. I informed Martin that because FERA has been sold off by the Government I have deranged my data on Bee Base.

He was full of cheerful news, for instance, although spotting invaders is a priority, their eventual success is regarded as inevitable. Asian hornets are causing much more concern than Small Hive Beetle. Bees can live with the latter but will be wiped out by the former.

He went into some detail about how they act and how they can be trapped in fizzy drink bottle traps. Unfortunately these work best when you’ve somehow caught a hornet and put it in the trap so that it can, pheromonally, attract sisters. I write ‘sisters’ but they may be even more closely related than that as DNA test have revealed that all the (in season) millions of Asian hornets are descended from, at most, 2 queens!

With regard to the Small Hive Beetle, Martin revealed that the Italians have, so far, destroyed about 3,500 hives, but that annually tens of thousands of hives are moved in and out of that area from Austria and thereabouts, which is worrisome.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...90491159,d.d2s
    What I'm failing to understand is if the 'Ministry' are so certain that a beetle invasion and eventual success is inevitable AND that it's not going to be that big a deal once they're established, why does the threat of total destruction still hang over our colonies?

A bit of a mixed message being presented here which might well leave some people making a few wrong decisions when it comes to picking up the phone.
    Last edited by prakel; 13-04-2015 at 08:03 AM.