Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wooden Postal Cages

Blog Entries

LJ. I got 100 of the double exit cages from Abelo for £35 including postage about a month ago. They are on the website at 5 for £2.50 but I e-mailed and asked for a quote for 100. These double exit cages are better for introduction imho, but the swienty ones are better for posting. The abelo cages don,t have a plastic tab to seal in the fondant so you need to add a bit of tape.

Abelo cages

Quote Originally Posted by prakel View Post
    Not sure how I missed the California cages on ML's UK site before although I was aware of them on their US listing. Not totally sure that I like them as it would mean buying into the feed-tube too. May well still end up adding plastic cages to the winter kit order...
    Interestingly, the JZ-BZ website says:

Now how about disadvantages? Takes time to pack that candy tube, but that can be minimized if you make about an inch thick pancake and then push the tube into the dough, like a cookie cutter !

BUT that objection is about to be eliminated by a revision which makes the candy tube a separate part which will be supplied to the user already loaded in a sealed plastic bag. All the user need to do is snap the filled candy tube in place and they are ready to go!!

http://jzsbzs.com/order/index.php?ma...9b3d8e6cbb104d
    At 13.5p each it might be time to stockpile some of the current design for future use.

Quote Originally Posted by prakel View Post
    Not sure how I missed the California cages on ML's UK site before although I was aware of them on their US listing. Not totally sure that I like them as it would mean buying into the feed-tube too. May well still end up adding plastic cages to the winter kit order...
    Just picked up this forum after many months- maybe even nearly a year since I recently got back in touch with Prakel. I love the CA cages and find the pre filled tubes quite handy. Always have some in my bee jacket pocket. You can also substitute your own candy, but it won't be as much as the tube provides. I like these cages mostly because here in the US they fit between our Hoffman self spacing frames quite easily AND you can see the queen. Perhaps that is a silly reason, but in the JZBZ I find it very hard to really see her. Generally I use the CA cages with a queen only, but I have also put a few attendants in. If we buy queens, then they send them in these CA cages, queen only, and a mess of attendants on the outside of the cage. I find it far preferable to install with just the queen in the cage.

Hi BYF, thanks for the input -good to see you back!

Quote Originally Posted by BYF View Post
    Just picked up this forum after many months- maybe even nearly a year since I recently got back in touch with Prakel. I love the CA cages and find the pre filled tubes quite handy. Always have some in my bee jacket pocket. You can also substitute your own candy, but it won't be as much as the tube provides.
    I assume the tube prevents contact between fondant (candy) and woodwork ? One feature of the old-style wooden Butler cages was that the wood would absorb any leeching from the fondant - which could be either good or bad, depending on how soft it was initially (obviously).

LJ