Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wooden Postal Cages

Blog Entries

Thanks for the suggestion about Mann Lake UK - hadn't been there before. New for 2014 and based in Kent.

Buzzy Bee Shop are clearing their wooden cages at £3.50 for ten (Special Offers page) (VAT included, £3.50 P&P on any order wherever you are in the UK) and Mann Lake sell them at £4.15 for ten (cheaper by the hundred) (VAT to be added, shipping only free if order over £100, but ...... not Scottish Highlands and Islands or Norn Ireland!! Grrrrrr.... ).

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion about Mann Lake UK - hadn't been there before. New for 2014 and based in Kent.

Buzzy Bee Shop are clearing their wooden cages at £3.50 for ten (Special Offers page) (VAT included, £3.50 P&P on any order wherever you are in the UK) and Mann Lake sell them at £4.15 for ten (cheaper by the hundred) (VAT to be added, shipping only free if order over £100, but ...... not Scottish Highlands and Islands or Norn Ireland!! Grrrrrr.... ).
    I thought that place across the mickermerre was spellt Norn Iron?

Not sure how I missed the California cages on ML's UK site before although I was aware of them on their US listing. Not totally sure that I like them as it would mean buying into the feed-tube too. May well still end up adding plastic cages to the winter kit order...

Quote Originally Posted by prakel View Post
    Not sure how I missed the California cages on ML's UK site before although I was aware of them on their US listing. Not totally sure that I like them as it would mean buying into the feed-tube too. May well still end up adding plastic cages to the winter kit order...
    I saw them, but discounted using those for exactly the same reasons as yourself. I was also aware of the lower prices of JZBZ cages - but I really don't like those. Because of their low price relative to those of the competition I guess others must feel the same way, and so they can't be selling too well.

The best Ebay price I've found so far for the so-called plastic 'puzzle' cages (although the only puzzle I can see is "why are they called that ?") - is around 50p, so I was very pleased to see Jon's reference to Swienty. Very fair prices. Does anyone know what the shipping would cost for (say) a hundred ? Otherwise I'll have to open an account, just to get a shipping price ...

LJ

Quote Originally Posted by Little_John View Post
    I saw them, but discounted using those for exactly the same reasons as yourself. I was also aware of the lower prices of JZBZ cages - but I really don't like those. Because of their low price relative to those of the competition I guess others must feel the same way, and so they can't be selling too well.

The best Ebay price I've found so far for the so-called plastic 'puzzle' cages (although the only puzzle I can see is "why are they called that ?") - is around 50p, so I was very pleased to see Jon's reference to Swienty. Very fair prices. Does anyone know what the shipping would cost for (say) a hundred ? Otherwise I'll have to open an account, just to get a shipping price ...

LJ
    You can get the Swienty ones from Modern Beekeeping, or ask Roger at Paynes to add them onto his next order from Swienty. Either way, the shipping will be cheaper than from Denmark. Or, if you can wait, just ask Swienty to bring your order with them for the next Beetradex.
    Last edited by brecks; 02-09-2014 at 01:02 PM.

I bought a few Jzbz cages and don't like them....

I agree with Jon that time in the cage is crucial and the shorter the better. When I post the odd queen she usually stays in the mini-nuc 'till lunchtime and I then whip her out and take her to the post office so she is out of a hive for less than 24 hours by the time she's been delivered - often around 9 am which is pretty good. Sometimes I'll cage the queen with attendants the night before and leave them in the mini-nuc caged so the cage can be lifted out with little fuss.

Default Cages

On another point, has anyone used these cages from Thornes.
    http://www.thorne.co.uk/queen/cages?product_id=4431
    I have a few of these as well (never used) and I think they are probably good a chopping legs off..

Of the plastic cages I've used I think that I actually prefer the JZ-BZ offering because of the 'hiding' area which has got to help protect her feet if the recipient colony isn't quite ready to accept a stranger. Although I hadn't previously realized that they're
    scented with a pheromone to increase acceptance
    always something new to learn .

Quote Originally Posted by prakel View Post
    Of the plastic cages I've used I think that I actually prefer the JZ-BZ offering because of the 'hiding' area which has got to help protect her feet if the recipient colony isn't quite ready to accept a stranger. Although I hadn't previously realized that they're always something new to learn .
    Hands down the best on the market IMHO. The best feature is easy one handed operation for caging the queen and attendants, followed by the narrow release tube, easy storage(the battery box is good), hiding place, pheromone(not sure it does anything, but I get great acceptance using these), and the queen excluder sized hole in the end which i've never used. A good little bit of kit, and cheaper than chips

Blog Entries

The shipping is expensive from Denmark and the VAT is 25%
    You need to put in a big order to make it worthwhile.
    I bought 10 cases of 18 Apideas in May and shipping was around 200 Euro but they still worked out at under £18 each which is cheaper than any supplier in the UK. (especially Thorne)
    A vat registered business would be able to get them at a very good price.