Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Artficial Insemination - viability?

Quote Originally Posted by busybeephilip View Post
    The Kraus paper is basically confirming that the most fit drones belonging to the dominant colonies get the girl.

What they saying is that they haven't a clue how colony 'fitness' - thus which drones will get to mate - is determined:

We found clear evidence for an extensive diversity in
    male mating success at the colony level. Some colonies
    had significantly more matings (about an order of
    magnitude) than other drone producing colonies in the
    same year. This is remarkable, because we had taken
    great care to standardize conditions for the drone
    producing colonies.
    All drone mothers were sister
    queens, all host colonies were of equal size and all had
    similar numbers of drones in the colony (two covered
    frames).

In our experiment the ‘fit’ colonies seem to have
    produced males which not only out-competed males
    from other colonies in mating, but also were more
    successful in post-mating competition. The fit colonies
    produced drones with a higher reproductive success than
    those of the other, less successful colonies. We do not
    know which effect caused the increased success of drones
    from specific colonies.

Although the actual mechanism for this post-mating
    selection in our study must remain open,
    this is to our
    knowledge the first evidence for differences in the male
    reproductive success for honeybees in a natural mating
    situation.

LJ

BTW - I found a 1994 paper by a bloke called Coelho about the flight characteristics of drones in relation to mating. I found it to be a fairly dull read to be honest, all about fuel capacity, flight duration, load-carrying capacity and so on ... I think the bloke must have been an aeronautical engineer in a former life.

There was one little snippet though which I though worth passing on - explaining why some queens fall out of the sky and some don't - maybe that's obvious to some, but this guy has actually mathematically calculated why this happens.

Essentially, it's down to why drones are so big in the first place. They need to be in order to have the strength (not speed !) to carry the queen as well as themselves during aerial mating. But the queen, being smaller, does not have the load-carrying capacity of the drone. So - if there is a clean breakaway after mating, the queen can fly on to mate with another drone - BUT - if the breakaway is not clean and the paralysed/dying drone stays connected, then the queen cannot support both of their weights and the pair fall to the ground. Simples.

LJ

IMHO queens choose drones, not the other way round, though she can only choose from those who reach her.

Thanks for your thoughts Team - my simplistic ideas about *improving* a line by II have been dashed. It strikes me that with care we could *maintain* a line, but due to the drone fitness issue there's significant doubt about *improving* it, and a significant chance of degrading it.

I need a ponder.....

Quote Originally Posted by Little_John View Post
    So - if there is a clean breakaway after mating, the queen can fly on to mate with another drone - BUT - if the breakaway is not clean and the paralysed/dying drone stays connected, then the queen cannot support both of their weights and the pair fall to the ground. Simples.

LJ
    Interesting sounding paper, at least it's looked at the process.

My question here is, where does the business of queens returning to the hive with the so called mating-sign fit in? Not a clean breakaway in the air, so, has she chewed the bulk of the drone away and then returned to the hive for further assistance?

Commonly held view we often see repeated is that returning with this sign is the norm. I doubt that, personally, based on a general lack of observation of it over the years but assuming that the majority are right and I'm wrong, how do queens get around this when multi-mating on a single flight? Could it be a cause of early queen failure, the queen forced to return home early and then for whatever reason failing to fly again.

Quote Originally Posted by prakel View Post
    Interesting sounding paper, at least it's looked at the process.
    Well, not exactly - he's determined this outcome from previous load-carrying calculations.

If you want a copy of the paper- let me have an email address in a PM, and I'll send it to you. Unfortunately, it's not in a nice compact .pdf format - 'cause they wanted money for that - so I grabbed the info as four .jpg's instead - that's a total of 1 Mb.
    I've tried uploading 'em as attachments here, but the system reduces them to 80-odd k each, which won't be very readable.

'best, LJ

Blog Entries

Gavin can stick stuff on the server if you contact him as long as it is not a major copyright issue.

Edit - probably is though if they wanted money for it!

Hello Jon - I've just re-traced my steps regarding the source - which is:
    http://www.academia.edu/836032/The_f...tion_to_mating

If you try to download the .pdf, you're required to log in, with password etc - so I assume there's a subscription involved - but when I hit my browser's back button, much to my surprise the paper appeared anyway, as 'greyed-out' .jpg's within an .html formatted page, with a 'pop-over' window which nags you again to register and log-in. BUT - this page (complete with pop-over) can simply be saved 'as is' - .jpg's and all. At least it can with Firefox 1.5 running under Windows 98 (don't laugh ...).

Then simply extract the .jpg's from the /files sub-directory - they're each 400-500 k at this point with 256 colours - reduce 'em to 16 colours (I use IrfanView) and they're then 250k each and quite readable. As for copyright - really couldn't say.

LJ

Blog Entries

Thankfully (phew!) the paper is quite readable straight from the link with modern software .

G.

So - nobody else on here with a coal-fired steam-driven computer then ?
    LJ