Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black wires in super frames

Default Black wires in super frames

This year, for the first time, some of my super frames are showing black wires which are visible after extraction. A few of the cells on either side are also blackish, although not on all.
    Foundation is Thorne's "premier" so it's all from one source.
    I assume wire used in foundation is stainless, or am I being naive?
    Last edited by Black Comb; 17-08-2014 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Spelling

Blog Entries

If you have ever treated for nosema spores with acetic acid fumes it will blacken any exposed wire.
    Don't think I have ever fumigated supers though.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Comb View Post
    I assume wire used in foundation is stainless
    I doubt that it is, unless specifically stated.

One of the reasons I always wire our frames with stainless is that the 'ordinary' frame wire that some of the suppliers sell is, in my experience, atrocious quality. Stainless in a wired frame will give a few comb changes, the other stuff won't.

Dont think the wire is stainless because as Jon says any exposed wire gets eaten by acetic acid treatments
    After a while it becomes black dust

I've never treated the supers with acetic.
    Pretty sure this is the first year I have seen it.
    Perhaps it's the acid in he honey that is the cause.

Also, it's just the odd frame. Probably 6 frames total in 30 supers.
    Last edited by Black Comb; 17-08-2014 at 01:44 PM. Reason: More

Could well be something like that
    Prakel will be right about the wire because stainless would be more expensive it would be mentioned in the sales blurb if the suppliers used it
    Must check Thornes web page
    Did you find the wax a bit dark this year ?

Oddly enough I was thinking wax was a bit lighter this year.
    Perhaps it's the white cappings from my 99.5% amm.

Nice one Black Comb you must be in a good area for breeding
    The wax foundation seemed darker to me The premier stuff is UK sourced I'm told

There was a bit of tongue in cheek with that one DR. I wish, but lots of mixed blood here.
    If its only a few frames it won't matter, just hope the bulk are not affected in future.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Black Comb View Post
    Foundation is Thorne's "premier" so it's all from one source.
    I assume wire used in foundation is stainless, or am I being naive?
    Hi Black Comb

Thornes use galvanized iron wire for wiring their foundation, I use this for my rolled foundation and you can easily buy it on 10-20 Kg spools in the UK you would hardly ever need that amount. It is easier to work with than stainless steel. You are correct about the acetic acid, it will corrode the wire very quickly.

Thornes premier is said claimed to be UK but could also be french/german as theirs is of similar quality to the UK stuff. (you always see Paul / Gill's face beaming when a big sack of wax blocks is traded in for standard wax)

The standard grade of foundation is a Heinz formulation chinese, African, you can tell by the smell that it is mostly chinese and heaven knows whats in it.

Personally I store my supers wet, as it seems to keep our wax moth away. I use a 20 frame radial which dries the frames pretty good at high speed. In the spring some of the honey left will be fermenting but the bees dont seem to mind.

In my area we only have to lesser moth so we dont need to worry too much about moths, however, if you have the greater moth then you would need to bag and freeze your supers 24hrs before storage other wise they will be dust in the spring. slight wax moth damage can be repaired by the bees, I have in the past put badly eaten supers on in desperation only to find that the bees redraw the wax again.