Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Honey pricing

Blog Entries

At a market today 8oz jars were being sold by a beekeeper at £5. I thought it was a tad expensive. Would you pay £10 for 1 lbs jar of ordinary honey ? Even a section priced at £10 would be over the top

I saw a local guy's cut comb in a health food shop, marked as min 170g the other day, it was basically a cut-comb container half full with a little bit of liquid run off in the other half (suppose that helps to 'stick' the comb in place): £4.25 each. I assume that they must be moving it because he's been selling through that shop for years.

£5 for a 1lb jar of blossom. Seems to go okay, it’s a balance between making sales and not undercutting the retailers too much, or all local shops who sell on for us will stop doing so and we’ll all suffer. I’ve had the occasional grumble but not enough to make me drop it any.

The thing that I think most of us let ourselves down on is labelling (mine is not good), as much of what we get from the equipment manufacturers is a little dated so I wish I could get something that had a bit more of a quality look to it (my selection looks very 1970’s), any suggestions would be good.

If you look what Harrods and Fortnum and Masons do, you may see what I’m on about.

Last year was the first time I had honey after losing bees in the previous 2 years. Having research prices and only have 20lbs of honey I went with 8oz jars. Settled on £5 when people thought £4 was too cheap. It all sold within 2 days with no complaints about the price. As others have said, in delis , you see more smaller jars for premium products.

It very much pays to have attractive and CLEAR labelling. I had a wee master class some years ago from a guy who sold on other peoples products and his advice was make the text clear as many are too vain to wear specs, and to make sure the label was not fussy. Too much is as bad as not enough. Use Ariel rather than Comic Sans whatsit and so on. KISS

PH

Quote Originally Posted by busybeephilip View Post
    At a market today 8oz jars were being sold by a beekeeper at £5. I thought it was a tad expensive. Would you pay £10 for 1 lbs jar of ordinary honey ? Even a section priced at £10 would be over the top
    Mars Bars cost 50p each, a 20 pack of crisps can cost a fiver or more depending on the brand.

I wouldn't pay £10 for a 1lb jar of honey, but I've seen it at that the equivalent of higher than that in National Trust etc shops. Local honey is a special and rare product, I often think most beekeepers sell far too cheaply - myself included.

Blog Entries

I agree, there is a good high demand for local 'artisan' products at present. Neither of the outlets I sell to blinked an eye at the cost and came back asking for more. Think we've got manuka to thank for that ironically. Hope this trend stays, there is always the cheap European blends on the supermarket for the less educated.

I use 10oz jars, and charge a fiver. I never have any left for very long. People who know their honey are willing to pay that if they know it is locally produced, those that think it is too expensive are used to the supermarket price and quality. Their loss, i still sell all of mine to others.

Saw a pound jar of blossum for sale today for £12 in St Andrews...

Quote Originally Posted by alclosier View Post
    Saw a pound jar of blossum for sale today for £12 in St Andrews...
    Rubs hands together ... !!

(Gavin will understand)