Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Honey pricing

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Honey pricing

We extracted the first of our honey last week, we aim to use 12oz jars, any thoughts on a reasonable price to charge if selling direct to the consumer?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by snimmo243 View Post
    We extracted the first of our honey last week, we aim to use 12oz jars, any thoughts on a reasonable price to charge if selling direct to the consumer?
    We've just agreed prices for the Dundee Flower and Food Festival beekeeper's stall. Hardly any change in 5 years but a couple of small rises here and there. 12oz jars don't feature, but mid-way between 8oz and 16oz jars would suggest:

Blossom - £4.00
    Heather - £5.40

In recent years the heather crop in jars and anything in cut comb has flown off the shelves, but it is an established venue with regular customers every year and a lot of people passing by. I'd make sure it is good quality stuff presented well, and don't sell it too cheaply.

Blog Entries

I've sold some 6oz boxed cut comb for £4 without a hesitation from the buyers. Most have gone to pay debts for good deeds and presents as they look so nice boxed.

Orkney (it’s usually cool and windy but somehow the bees survive!)

Last year I was selling 1lb jars direct for £4.50 and it was retailing in a local shop for £5.95. I’m switching to round 12oz jars this year so I will drop the price a little bit. Judging by the number of replies to this thread all the beekeepers out there either give their honey away or it’s the usual wall of silence whenever money is mentioned.
    I’ve just ordered jars and I was pleased with the price and the company was helpful. Now for the bad news £10.00 delivery only applies to the mainland. The cheapest quote for delivery here is £60.00!!! That adds another 17p to the cost of each jar and because of greedy couriers I have to grin and bear it.

I don't know what the going rate in my area is for cut comb, but jars tend to be £5 for 12oz and £6 for 1lb.

Thanks for the replies, we've settled on £4 for 12oz

I bulk sold most of my blossom cut comb at £2 per pack in the plain white tub. It is retailing in my local deli at £4-95. I sell it direct through my breakfast room at £4 a unit and pounds of blossom are priced at £5-50.

PH
    Last edited by Poly Hive; 20-11-2014 at 09:41 AM.

My honey retails for £3.95 for 350 g (12 oz). A few years ago it went up from £3.75 and the shopkeepers said that no one was bothered. Yes you can get honey for next to nothing in the supermarkets but it's not premium local stuff.

Peterborough, and into the flatlands to the north and east ...

Mine retails I a farm shop at £4 for 8oz. It was £3.50 but the shop put the price up this year and no one even commented.

David

I saw some local honey today in a butchers shop window, £4.80 for 8oz jar. It was in Moy Co Armagh. They had a dozen jars in the front window.

Mark.