Thread: Honey pricing

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Peterborough, and into the flatlands to the north and east ...

Mine retails I a farm shop at £4 for 8oz. It was £3.50 but the shop put the price up this year and no one even commented.

David

I saw some local honey today in a butchers shop window, £4.80 for 8oz jar. It was in Moy Co Armagh. They had a dozen jars in the front window.

Mark.

Blog Entries

At a market today 8oz jars were being sold by a beekeeper at £5. I thought it was a tad expensive. Would you pay £10 for 1 lbs jar of ordinary honey ? Even a section priced at £10 would be over the top

I saw a local guy's cut comb in a health food shop, marked as min 170g the other day, it was basically a cut-comb container half full with a little bit of liquid run off in the other half (suppose that helps to 'stick' the comb in place): £4.25 each. I assume that they must be moving it because he's been selling through that shop for years.

£5 for a 1lb jar of blossom. Seems to go okay, it’s a balance between making sales and not undercutting the retailers too much, or all local shops who sell on for us will stop doing so and we’ll all suffer. I’ve had the occasional grumble but not enough to make me drop it any.

The thing that I think most of us let ourselves down on is labelling (mine is not good), as much of what we get from the equipment manufacturers is a little dated so I wish I could get something that had a bit more of a quality look to it (my selection looks very 1970’s), any suggestions would be good.

If you look what Harrods and Fortnum and Masons do, you may see what I’m on about.

Quote Originally Posted by busybeephilip View Post
    At a market today 8oz jars were being sold by a beekeeper at £5. I thought it was a tad expensive. Would you pay £10 for 1 lbs jar of ordinary honey ? Even a section priced at £10 would be over the top
    Mars Bars cost 50p each, a 20 pack of crisps can cost a fiver or more depending on the brand.

I wouldn't pay £10 for a 1lb jar of honey, but I've seen it at that the equivalent of higher than that in National Trust etc shops. Local honey is a special and rare product, I often think most beekeepers sell far too cheaply - myself included.