Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apidea query

On the edge of a mature pine forest, Kingussie, Inverness-shire

Default Apidea query

Stacks of stores and not much room to lay so took out one of the store frames and gave her an empty frame. This apidea had a previous queen that disapeared leaving some chalk brood behind. On inspection of the store frame I could see eggs laid on top of the sunken sealed chalkbrood. Is this common if the Queen runs out of space? Should I be thinking of moving her to a Nuc? I would prefer to wait another week as I don't have many young bees due to supercedures . It's been about 4 weeks since she emerged?

Blog Entries

If you have not already done so you could remove the feeder and put in 2 more frames to give the queen more room to lay, preferably frames with comb already drawn. I have never seen a queen lay eggs on top of chalkbrood mummies. Usually a cell has to be spotless before a queen will go near it.

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Jon, my lovely new Irish queen lay some eggs in a few cells half-filled with pollen - but I think she was also short of space. I put a new drawn comb in the nucleus, but the bees have almost filled it by the time she emerged from her cage. Kitta

No, one of my other new queens also laid some eggs on pollen and she had loads of space - but at least it's pollen, and not chalk brood as with Bridget's queen.
    Kitta

Hi Bridget,

I treat an Apidea as a 'mating nuc' only, in other words as soon as the new Q has proved herself I place her in a more conducive environment, I would not keep her any longer than absolutely necessary in an Apidea, if the cells have anything except pollen and honey in them, I discard the frame. The bees will draw out the fresh foundation pdq if they have a Q who is ready to lay. My thoughts, others may differ.

HL

Blog Entries

I've never ever seen queens laying in cells containing pollen - very strange

Any chance of showing us a picture

Neither have I, BB Philip, until a few days ago and then again today, but a different and unrelated queen.

I'll try to keep a camera handy next time.
    Kitta

Jon - I don't have that sort of feeder in the apidea. It's at right angles to the frames.
    Thought I might have been imagining things Kitta, glad you've seen it too.
    If the weather is better tomorrow ( can't believe it will be worse) I will see if she has started to lay in the empty frame . I agree it's time to move her to a nucleus but I don't have a lot of young bees. I will give that a go at the weekend. Thanks to all.

Picture of the eggs laid on top of pollen as mentioned earlier. Same queen but she is now in a nucleus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Oh dear