Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest date for nuc

Default Latest date for nuc

great season so far but hoping to use up a queen reared at home, i am located in n ireland ,what would be latest date to make up a 3 frame nuc (2 brood and 1 food) that will build up enough by autumn?

You need to ensure you have drones to mate with the virgin.. Allowing 16 days for a queen to emerge and (say) 21 days for mating = 37 days, brings you to mid September - if you started TODAY.

Pushing it if much later in my view but you know your local climate best..

Blog Entries

Sounds like he has a queen already and wants to make a nuc with it if I read the post correctly. Still time but I would be looking to make a nuc with 3 or 4 frames rather than two now we are into August.
    A smallish nuc will need a well insulated box.

Did one just like this today in one of the new Everynuc's from Thorne's which are pretty well insulated, sides and top … I split the nuc off a so-so (strength wise) colony, uniting the remainder with a weaker one containing a better queen. Nucs made up like this need a bit of TLC to make sure they build up enough to overwinter, but don't outgrow the box.

Hi Beeman,

You’ll be fine now.
    Close the entrance down to one bee space (or it will be robbed) and give 1:1 syrup ad lib till the end of September, and give them as many frames of drawn comb or foundation so they can store what they will.
    You can most likely get away with no veroa treatment as this may knock them back a bit.
    I did exactly this last season at this time of year and the resulting colony has far out performed all my other hives (I didn’t close down the entrance, and it was robbed, very badly!).

Cheers RogerB

Blog Entries

I would be reluctant to feed syrup at the moment. The wasp population is enormous and the bees are in robbing mode as well. Syrup in a weak colony sends them crazy attacking it and even with a small entrance they could be overcome. Best would be to set in a frame or two of stores if you have some as the nuc is less likely to be robbed out.

Thanks for everyone's advice-it is a mated queen I am using - I will add 2 frames of about to emerge brood and 2-3 of food/pollen - if it doesn't get strong enough I can always re unite-it's more that I have an unused new queen and don't want to see it go to waste

Uniting small but healthy colonies is one of the biggest wastes we see in beekeeping. It's amazing how relatively small units will go through winter if they're in an appropriate sized and/or insulated box. You may lose the small one trying, but if you unite two you'll definitely lose one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I would be reluctant to feed syrup at the moment. The wasp population is enormous and the bees are in robbing mode as well. Syrup in a weak colony sends them crazy attacking it and even with a small entrance they could be overcome. Best would be to set in a frame or two of stores if you have some as the nuc is less likely to be robbed out.
    Wasps are pestering my hives/nucs (much reduced entrances). For the last two weeks I have had a couple of clear plastic bottles, with a side-small hole near the top, half-filled with a water/soft fruit mix. They are trapping many wasps. Is this useful-or am I simply attracting wasps?

Quote Originally Posted by alancooper View Post
    Wasps are pestering my hives/nucs (much reduced entrances). For the last two weeks I have had a couple of clear plastic bottles, with a side-small hole near the top, half-filled with a water/soft fruit mix. They are trapping many wasps. Is this useful-or am I simply attracting wasps?
    If they're very close to the hives, then you're advertising the presence of those hives ...

Wasp traps really need to be a reasonable distance away - say a minimum of 50 feet - and downwind of the hives, so that you attract wasp scouts who will be following the scent plume up from that direction. Move the traps as and when the wind shifts.

A handful of wasp scouts in your traps is far more valuable than a thousand of their regular soldiers.

LJ