Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: To Swarm or Not to Swarm, that is the question!

Default swarm or not to swarm

Allow 10 days after emergence watch landing board for pollen going in and check.If no eggs allow another 5 days as I find I am usually a week out in my calculations its unlikely there will be a cast as I presume you only left 1 Q Cell Good luck
    Quote Originally Posted by darlo View Post
    Thanks Jon. They started to draw after 2 weeks, and then a week after that, I ended up doing an artificial swarm, which appeared to go well, however on the next inspection of the queened colony, I discovered a sealed queen cell, no old queen, and less bees. So I guess its fair to say, they swarmed. I didn't catch the swarm, but in the past week, have discovered a new colony in some old hives 100 yards away. Havent spotted the queen in there, so not 100% sure they are the swarm from my hive.

The origional quuenless hive, was left with queen cell, which was found emerged 8 days later. This is now 7 days after emergence (approx). Not sure whether the new queen has mated yet. The bees were flying around today fairly eratic, but it was a little windy, but starting to wonder if I will loose a cast from them?

Anyone have any suggestions as to how long this years virgins are taking to mate?

Thanks Sandy. I took a look yesterday, and the bees appear to by acting normally around the entrance, with pollen going in, a few drones flying. When I opened up, I found 7-8 deep frames packed with pollen, capped honey and nectar, but no brood, no eggs and didn't see a queen.
    I am guessing she may still be on mating flights. My concern now is, that assuming she mates in the next couple of weeks, will there be enough bees to attend her?

Default Update

Well I went away on holiday for the week, came back and all looked well at the hive entrance, so opened up both hives, and there they were..... brood, lots of lovely brood. So my guess was her majesty's took around 4 weeks to mate. Although i suspect that the one queen was back and laying a week earlier, just as I went on holiday, as the bees were doing what bees should do, with pollen being taken in then.

So just need to keep an eye on that they dont decide to swarm again.