Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Possible supercedure

On the edge of a mature pine forest, Kingussie, Inverness-shire

Today I inspected the swarm I was given end of May. Been laying well so left it pretty much alone after a couple of thorough inspections early on. Today found 3 supercedure cells on the second and third frames in - one uncapped and empty and two still capped so removed those two and queens emerged from both. They didn't look like they were new born but scampered out. Did I read on here that VQ can delay their emergence? Anyway another new experience. Put them in queen less apideas but think I should have added more bees to one of them. Think I did it all too quick but when it's unexpected it's hard to think it through completely with bees buzzing round.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hope those queens are doing ok in the apideas Bridget.

Update on the thread: the bees seemed to have torn down the supercedure cell we left and made another, but they'd also made a couple of swarm cells so we did do an artificial swarm in the end. So the old queen lives on - and they've gone from a one frame artificial swarm to almost a whole box of fully drawn and mostly laid comb already. The new queen made from a frame of eggs given to another hive which somehow got queenless is now laying too, so things are fairly happy in bee world at present.

On the edge of a mature pine forest, Kingussie, Inverness-shire

One apidea has 1 or 2 day old eggs. The other nothing yet but I need to do a proper inspection on Wednesday so will let you know then!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk