Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Frame making epiphany

Default Frame making epiphany

tacwise-0327-191el-230v-tp_693754632567451005f.jpg

Old news for many of you I'm sure, but a total revelation to me
    I was generously given a Tacwise EL191 nail gun and used it for the first time today.
    40 frames later ...
    Awesome

Yes I got handed a compressor and gun by my dad and it certainly speeds the process up!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    tacwise-0327-191el-230v-tp_693754632567451005f.jpg

Old news for many of you I'm sure, but a total revelation to me
    I was generously given a Tacwise EL191 nail gun and used it for the first time today.
    40 frames later ...
    Awesome
    Sorely tempted!

Has anyone tried the manual type, are they as effective? No electricity in the apiary shed .....

Stanley Heavy Duty Staple Nail Gun is £25 at Screwfix.

Are folk happy with 20mm brads in place of the usual frame nails?

Hi Gavin
    Buy a generator. Believe me, it's worth it.
    I'm sad enough that when my son challenged me to "make 10 as fast as possible" I had a go … 11 minutes 40 seconds from start to ready to add foundation i.e. only one bottom bar fitted. And this included gluing all the nailed joints. I made 66 frames Friday evening and Saturday morning, some for cut comb, some foundationless and about half with standard full sheet of foundation. Easy peasy.

The same model will take up to 35mm nails, suitable for making brood boxes and supers, these are on order. Can't comment on the manual ones, but I do know there are some rechargeable models … for £££ I'm afraid.

Amazon appear to be selling a Tacwise 191ELS Nail Gun for under £40 … less than half RRP and significantly less than the ~£70 they've been selling it for recently.

An early Christmas present to accompany all those 2nd quality frames from the Thorne's sale?

I think you've got me converted
    Apart from speed a benefit is the use of stainless steel brads
    It is easier to split the wood if you are clumsy with placing the brads
    I also use a dab of PU glue using a cocktail stick on all the joints

I bought a Tacwise nail gun and was most disappointed with it. I found it wouldn't fully push the tacks into the frames and had to finish them off with a hammer. I finished up by buying a small compressor and tack gun from Axminster power tools in Devon which works brilliantly. The speed of frame making is only controlled by how fast you can slot the parts together - the tacking only taking seconds. Gavin - If you want to try the tackwise item, I'll bring it with me to Llangollen and you can take it home with you , I have no further use for it - I don't want anything for it.

You need the narrow staples Gavin , the Screwfix stapler is used for wide staples and not realy suitable for frames.

Grizzly … the Tacwise gun I have tends to leave the nail heads proud unless you press the 'nose' firmly onto the wood. If you do this they are driven in cleanly every time. I've used it for both frame building and putting Thorne's roofs together using 30mm or 35mm (can't remember which … the largest the gun takes) nails and it works faultlessly. However, if held slightly off square, or just rested on the wood, the rebound leaves the heads proud and I have to tidy things up with a hammer.

Gavin … there's an offer you can't refuse
    Last edited by fatshark; 16-09-2014 at 09:40 AM. Reason: things not thing

I have two Tacwise ones - one little 'un which does frames brilliantly and t'other that will do 50mm brads. I'd recommend them both.

Both will recoil a little leaving the head slightly proud unless firmly held as others have discovered. Newton's third etc.