Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How long?

I've met plenty of very poor joiners over the years who have very good apprentices, it seams to be the same in beekeeping, I've found you only learn by making mistakes, the basic beemaster helps show you have the core knowledge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

I agree Prakel

Thanks, I think we probably agree.

I tend to think that if somebody is truly interested in beekeeping they will do their best to learn a lot quite quickly, because they have the internet as well as the older stuff in the standard beginner books. I think it's something the older hands forget - it's easier to find information these days, it's more available more quickly, rather than having to wait for somebody to put it into a book, which could take years.

I know some clubs that encourage those who have passed their Basic to get involved with supporting beginners, because it refreshes their own memory and they may get asked questions they may never have thought of. They also have weekly apiary sessions that anybody can attend, which gives more hands-on experience. Then there are other clubs that limit access, and limit learning because they can, rather than because they should.

Mentoring, I've had a very positive experience of this. I have however, heard less positive outcomes from some and usually the realisation that the mentoring was not always rounded and open to changes or modernisation (where a good thing) makes me appreciate what experience I've had even more so. Do I think i could or should mentor anyone, personally no. I still think I am a bit rough around the edges, but could I help out others or show a few interested folk a few things to get them started? Yes, and I will.[/QUOTE]

HJBee has been a very useful bee buddy/mentor to me - we have a similar learning style which I think is useful, you can only read so much and watch so many bee you tube films - so to find someone who will actually let you look at their bees and ask them eedgit questions, is fab. I would like to be come self sufficient in my bee keeping knowledge and hopefully not lean on my bee buddy for too long (perhaps till after my first swarm) ? Who Knows - S :-)

Blog Entries

Default How long?

Well Maybee, getting the first colony through winter is always a worry. (As you only have that one), but should be fine.The first spring & summer is the most testing. However, your questions (can't remember any eedjit ones) are important as I don't always know the best or right answer and makes me continue my learning. I have actually enjoyed seeing you and Elaine helping each other with minimal supervision more than the 1-1 tutoring. That's what buddying can always give in a relaxed way that aids learning and positive outcomes / experiences. Just hope I haven't passed on too many bad habits along the way! H