Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ZEST hive.

How much variation is there in mated AMM queens? I would like a localy bred one but are there any available and how different would they be from a dealers AMM?

That's a bit of a how long is a piece of string question to be honest - depends on the source(s) of the queens. It wouldn't be impossible to find locally bred AMM queens from genetics which have been present in your area for some time. But.....(and I include your Dorset bees in this - sorry)...people have been bringing non-local, non-native strains of bees into your area for a long time. There's a well known Youtube video of French AMM being brought into Craibstone in the 1930s for instance. I'm also not sure what you mean when you say "dealer". Most of the reputable breeders of AMM are not big scale dealer-type operations. The only one I can think of that would fit into the dealer category would be the likes of Bickerstaffs who import what they call AMM from Greece - queens which are I believe open mated with drones from every other strain which they import. I'd give them a very wide steer if I were you.

If you do want to source local queens I'd suggest joining your local association. You really need to get on the local grapevine to hear what's available and who's doing what.

I have been thinking about joining Moray for while, I have been to a couple of their winter lecures and enjoyed them also Andy Watson gave me a hand inspecting my colony when I had an arm in a sling after an opertion.
    By dealers I meant the various outfits advertising non imported AMM on the internet.
    I don't feel too bad about the Dorset bees, (it isn't much closer than France but there is a significant bit of water where Nelson used to hang about.) If the bees were really not suited they wouldn't have done so well, but something in my gut says keep it local.

I used to be on the committee of Moray Beeks - say hi to Andy for me! I think you should follow your gut Steve!

Just been having a look at their website, they were running a queen rearing course today. How's that for bad timing It would have been useful. Although I suppose it does increase the chance of a few queens becoming avilable.

Just work your way through some of the info on the forum Steve - plenty here to get you started. Not sure if Moray is as keen on local/AMM queens as you might hope. I've been away from them a couple of years so not sure how the land lies.

I will see what I can find out, thanks.

Blog Entries

This is definitely the best forum to keep checking if you are interested in bee breeding and native queens.