Thread: ZEST hive.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default ZEST hive.

Other than the few Aberdeenshire and Moray beekeepers I have spoken to about mine, has anyone else come across ZEST hives up here? I started a colony in one three years ago and they seem to be doing quite well, despite the weather issues we have had since I started.
    The chap who came up with the idea is a friend of a friend, based in Dorset. He gave me the hive kit and Nuke as an experiment to see how it would work in the Scottish climate.
    Have a look at http://thezesthive.com

Here are a few pictures of my Zest, when I was building it in 2011. The final one shows frames from a National nuke box between Zest frames.

IMG_1991.jpg

IMG_1994.jpg

IMG_1996.jpg

IMG_1999.jpg

IMG_2000.jpg

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

There was an article about the plastic frames in BeeCraft recently that interested me - but when I looked at the website I rapidly lost interest. There was no more information about the frames and the hives look like heavy work. Are they?
    Kitta

I also thought it was a bit rich the guy on the website going on about the world's dwindling resources when his Zest frames are made of plastic! Also not sure what the logic about double depth brood frames is - strikes me as change for change's sake.

I was completly new to it when I got the kit, so I've never known anything else. I have found it quite easy to get along with, the bees have survived the weather and I have had some honey. I have got a plastic frame to try, somewhere forgoten about till just now, I like the wooden ones. The depth of the frame is to suit the depth of the hive, you can't build it up with supers like a normal one.
    After the initial build you don't do much to the hive structure. The heaviest bit is leveling the ground for the slab base, the blocks are insulation type (think aero chocolate but concrete) so not very heavy.
    Like everything else there are pros and cons.
    It would be no use at all if you wanted a mobile hive and you can't heft it to judge the contents. If you don't need to move or lift it this isn't a problem. The big advantage is the insulation and strength of it, no sign of vermin and the most a woodpecker would get is a sore head.
    The frames don't lend themselves to spinning but you could crush and strain the honey, I like it on the comb so tend to use it like a larder, ie just take a comb as needed.
    I have been looking round the threads on here and noticed some discussion on brood position, in mine all the brood is in the top section of the frame and the stores are the bottom.
    If anyone would like to come and have a look at it hey would be welcome.
    Steve.

Well it sounds like it's working for you Steve so I wish you good fortune with it. How do you go about your swarm control with it? And have you made increase from it?