Thread: Queen stopped laying

Default Queen stopped laying

One of my hive attempted to swarm on 27th of May (failed demaree ) but as the queen was clipped they were all back inside pretty quickly
    I found the queen wandering around in front of the hive & split the colony and felt jolly thankful
    Had a peek 3 days later after my son phoned to say he thought there was another swarm, the queen was still present (couldn't have been this hive)
    Looked in today couldn't see any eggs or Queen (now 7 days post swarm split) Did find 2 charged Q cells (I put this frame into a Q- colony I have.
    So my question is: How long do you think will it be before the queen resumes laying? (assuming she hasn't been squished or run out of eggs (she's 1yr old so I think that's less likely)

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

I think I have a similar situation, but she's just started laying again. I split the hive on the 29th and put the old queen in a box containing no brood at all (but on the same spot). On the 31st I saw only a few queen cups, one with an egg in it, and the bees filling all available space with nectar. I added a new frame of drawn comb and today saw a tiny patch of eggs. Perhaps the queens are in a bit of shock. When the weather is better I'll check again and perhaps give her some brood. Unlike your queen, mine is a venerable three-year old.
    Kitta