Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which paint?

Default Which paint?

Got some new wooden hives I want paint. Can't be bothered driving all the way to Thornes, besides I'm looking for a clear stain. What does everyone recommend?

I do have some very good wood preservative, but it warns "DO NOT USE ON BEEHIVES". Is this common?

Blog Entries

You certainly don't want to be painting insecticide on hives. Linseed oil, generously rubbed all over (ooo - eerrr!) is all you need. Pretty sure I've used boiled rather than raw and not had any issues with it.

http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/linseed.html

If it is true Western Red Cedar I'd just leave it alone. Budget 'English cedar' (larch?) and I'd put oil on every few years.

I use Ronseal One Coat Fence Life for cedar hives. Not to protect the wood, simply to make it a bit less obvious. Don't buy it at B&Q or similar unless you've got a kidney to trade-in. My local DIY store does it for about half list price (though I realise that's not a lot of help if you're in Monifieth).

Blog Entries

I was going to use Cuprinol Ducks Back on my home made rough sawn ekes. I can't see anything on the Tub that it's bad for insects / bees. Anyone used this?

I build all my bee boxes out of recycled wood, mainly pallets - none have been pinched so far (I keep wondering why ?) - and I paint 'em with polyurethane floor paint, ex boot sales. Marvellous stuff - dries in a couple of hours, and as tough as old boots. Limited range of colours mind.
    LJ

Orkney (it’s usually cool and windy but somehow the bees survive!)

Quote Originally Posted by HJBee View Post
    I was going to use Cuprinol Ducks Back on my home made rough sawn ekes. I can't see anything on the Tub that it's bad for insects / bees. Anyone used this?
    Ducks Back will be OK as long as you air the hive parts for at least a week after painting. I’ve used Cuprinol garden wood preserver for many years with no problems. Unfortunately they have stopped making this product. Cuprinol keep changing the names and formula of their products so I’m going to have to use something similar. I prefer their solvent rather than their water based products. Whatever paint you use on single walled hives make sure it’s breathable and never use gloss. The weather has improved a lot up here today and I will be going to my bees shortly. My last visit was 12 days ago!
    Last edited by lindsay s; 28-05-2014 at 10:53 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lindsay s View Post
    My last visit was 12 days ago!
    I sense impending queen cells!

Blog Entries

Thanks Lindsay. Just the ekes so shouldn't be on there for a while (feeding an unexpected a/s excluded), I am painting tonight! H

this was good to read, still looking at my VERY flat pack hive, it is supposed to cedar so I was thinking of coating with boiled linseed - has anyone mixed wax and linseed oil together to paint on?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maybee View Post
    this was good to read, still looking at my VERY flat pack hive, it is supposed to cedar so I was thinking of coating with boiled linseed - has anyone mixed wax and linseed oil together to paint on?
    I seem to remember someone saying it gave a sticky surface. One way to use wax is to immerse your boxes in a vat of boiling wax! An occasional forum poster has used that approach.