Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hello.......

Smile Hello.......

So here goes, I've bought a book, a national hive and have emailed the kilbarchan bee keepers. A million other things I need before I start - any tips of what to buy, and what not to?

Anyone local (Renfrewshire/elderslie) that would let me have a look at how you work with your hives?)

Susie

Hi Susie, pleased to meet you

Seems there's quite a few people out in the Kilbarchan area taking up Bees recently. You just missed a visit to one of their members Apiaries a few weeks ago, where there were quite a few of us newbies seeing what it was all about. There will be another one at the end of July I think. In the meantime EmsE and HJBee on here are members of the KBA and will know more about what's going on and help you with your questions.

There's also the Glasgow BA who meet in Scotstoun. They had a meeting last week which was quite informative on honey production and extraction. It's a bit further out but I found it worth the travel. If you need contact details for them, just ask.

Blog Entries

Hi Maybee, I am a KBA member and local enough. Just did a couple if hours stint tonight (in fact have been out most days since last Friday - it's a busy time of the beekeeping season.

Have you any protective clothing? Do you have an empty hive, or do you have bees too? When did you e-mail the Assc? What has drawn you to the world of beekeeping?

HJ

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maybee View Post
    So here goes, I've bought a book, a national hive and have emailed the kilbarchan bee keepers. A million other things I need before I start - any tips of what to buy, and what not to?

Anyone local (Renfrewshire/elderslie) that would let me have a look at how you work with your hives?)

Susie
    It gives your Admin a little warm glow of satisfaction to see threads like this.

There are great books, good books, and not so great books. Everyone seems to have written a book on beekeeping (I haven't written mine yet). If it was one that came with a beginner's kit it should be good. Hooper, Campion, Cramp, several others, there are several which are good for beginners.

What not to buy? Too much stuff. Little fiddly things on impulse during your visit to the bee appliance shop.

What to buy? Oh, maybe a nucleus box (get it overwinter in a sale as if you get a nucleus stock this summer, as you shouldn't need it until next spring). A feeder. A box of long-cuffed thin nitrile gloves - whether or not these Kilbarchan beekeepers use 'em. Greater sensitivity, less bee crushing, less attempts at stinging, and little chance of them getting through anyway. You can pick up queens with them on. But there's a long list .....

Thanks for posting, and stick with these Kilbarchan folk - they're a great bunch.

Thanks for replies, I don't have protective clothing or bees yet. I have been nosey-ing about the forum reading about different clothing - There seems such a huge difference in price ! Not sure what would be a reasonable jkt/suit to buy. Quite a big outlay initially with this bee keeping malarkey.

I've always liked bees/honey and went on a visit with KBA to a apiary about two years ago, (really enjoyed it) but was overwhelmed by the whole thing, there is so much to learn! - I had naively thought I could just stick a hive in my garden watch them, and occasionally collect some honey.

If there is any info sessions the Glasgow BA are running, I'd be happy to drive out to Scotstoun. The KBA have emailed with details of their next out in July and I have been kindly added to their mailing list - as their meeting start up in Sept.

So now I'm at the point where I just decided to go for it.

Blog Entries

Maybe one thing to add is that many beekeepers prefer to stay local for the supply of bees for various reasons. And local bees are usually cheaper than those obtained from distant suppliers, many of whom import. Or beg an old frame from someone and add it (with other new ones) to your National hive to see if you can attract a swarm. There are a lot about this year. Swarms, not National hives .. though there are a lot of those too .... or even old frames .....

I've been reading about the benefits of getting local bees, and docile ones - not sure about attracting a swarm though? The hive arrives this weekend and I still have to build it and I haven't finished my book yet (fifty years amongst the bees) and so much googling and lurking on forums to do!

Maybee

Blog Entries

Did I start that post with 'Maybe'? No pun intended!

These old books often have some great snippets, but I haven't read that one.

http://www.soilandhealth.org/03sov/0...0408miller.pdf

Nice to see you de-lurking!

G.

Blog Entries

Susie, personal Message me your details and I will arrange for us to meet up on the next few weeks for a coffe. / chat and a visit to one of the apiaries nearest you for a bit of a show & tell. I can arrange at least a jacket and veil & gloves, so we just need to ensure you have some wellies and appropriate trousers on. Also next months Advertizer will have an article about our association visit and general beekeeping - you should get that in Elderslie?

Helena

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    What to buy? Oh, maybe a nucleus box (get it overwinter in a sale as if you get a nucleus stock this summer, as you shouldn't need it until next spring). A feeder. A box of long-cuffed thin nitrile gloves - whether or not these Kilbarchan beekeepers use 'em. Greater sensitivity, less bee crushing, less attempts at stinging, and little chance of them getting through anyway. You can pick up queens with them on. But there's a long list .....

Thanks for posting, and stick with these Kilbarchan folk - they're a great bunch.
    I double glove with standard leather gauntlets and thin surgical type ones, as last year the bees took a real dislike to my leather ones (to the point I was washing then weekly - hardly practical). This has worked well apart from 2 stings from accidental squashings (touch wood). The nature of the bees I'm involved in, I would never just wear the thin gloves - I just am not that confident or hopeful!