Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hive Monitoring

Orkney (it’s usually cool and windy but somehow the bees survive!)

Quote Originally Posted by prakel View Post
    Over the last few years I've actually made a point of opening a few hives in the depths of each winter -a calculated risk on my part to see what the score actually is with regard to brood rearing/cessation.
    Hi Prakel
    Would you mind sharing your winter observations with the rest of us?

I think that a researcher from the group in Sussex suggested that the best way to treat with OA in winter was to go through the colony and remove any sealed brood a day or two before adding the OA. This of course makes perfect sense in terms of getting the OA to work, but contradicts the dogma that the colony must not be disturbed etc etc.

I'm pretty sure I've seen a video posted by our Finnish friend showing a colony being opened when the temperature was minus [some large number]

Quote Originally Posted by lindsay s View Post
    Hi Prakel
    Would you mind sharing your winter observations with the rest of us?
    Hi lindsay, I'm on the South Coast with bees of nondescript origin.

I did make a couple of posts here (can't find them to link to at present but will have another look tomorrow) about a successful attempt by the bees to raise a queen (although obviously not mate) during one January, although strangely it wasn't initially a colony on my 'list'. This is something I'd love to learn more about myself as I think it may well offer another perspective on what are universally thought of as failed supercedure attempts late in the season resulting in drone layers the following Spring. Obviously some are, but how many times are bees able to rear new queens at a time when most would categorically deny the possibility.

This last winter was the first that I noticed a very definite brood break during January, others will comment on the fact that it was a very mild winter but my own hives were subject to an almost constant biting wind for a couple of months, as such the winter was much harder on them than normal. In more normal years there has been very little by way of a break and certainly not in all hives looked at (maybe 10 or so). I haven't worked to set dates for checks due to other commitments; average, a couple of times through Jan and again February. December hasn't really figured because it doesn't take much imagination to know what's going on at that time of year in these parts.

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    I'm pretty sure I've seen a video posted by our Finnish friend showing a colony being opened when the temperature was minus [some large number]
    This one maybe?

This is good news for diy hive monitoring enthusiasts
    Noise heat weight etc
    http://makezine.com/2015/11/25/raspb...ign=newslettert
    I have a couple of arduino boards but it might be time to check out the Pi

Sent from my LIFETAB_S1034X using Tapatalk
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 02-12-2015 at 12:33 AM.

Very neat. I've got a couple of the original Pi's and have used them for a variety of things like Airplay audio streaming receivers and to drive a DSLR for time-lapse photography. There's a large user base and anyone with some familiarity with Linux/Unix should be pretty comfortable with getting started. At $5 (or, inevitably, £5 using the universal exchange rate that operates on "stuff I want that's cheaper in the USA") this looks worth a look.

Will using it disrupt the ley lines and mean I have to move my hives?

http://www.nasa.gov/vision/earth/loo...neticfield.htm

Bees leylines don't think so

But hey that's mumbo jumbo for you the more evidence that it's wrong the more convinced the faithful become that it's right

The £5 Pi will be a great tool

Sent from my LIFETAB_S1034X using Tapatalk

That link gave me the slowest 404 response error ever with the (very slightly) witty "404 The cosmic object you are looking for has disappeared beyond the event horizon" ... I was hoping you were going to direct me to some well-controlled, statistically-compelling, double-blinded trial of hives and leylines.

Oh well, 'bout time I wrote that grant then ...

Peterborough, and into the flatlands to the north and east ...

Damn, now I need to worry about my leylines and my curry grids! ;-)

Amazing price for the pi. I've been looking at the ESP8266, a couple of £ each but for the module but then another £ or so for boards plus components and needs soldering.
    A pi plus a wifi dongle might be easier, although I'm not sure on battery life - do pi's sleep?

David

Hi Wmfd
    I need to investigate that (don't have a Pi) but one of the phone recharging bricks from Aldi etc should be ok
    Fatshark
    Sorry bad link intercepted by aliens or something hiding in a black hole try this one
    http://science.nasa.gov/science-news...magneticfield/

Bees so busy today had to take some mouse guards off for a while