Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I got stung on the heid

Blog Entries

I don't know the answer as to whether or not your symptoms show allergy or just a normal reaction, but there are tests you can ask for. I've been there, but my symptoms were different, and my GP sent a blood sample to the Asthma and Allergy Unit at the local hospital for a RAST test. That showed that I was allergic to venom. I was out of beekeeping for a couple of years and was put on a desensitisation course for which I'll always be grateful. Our local secretary is going through that now.

Thanks guys I feel ok today I will go to my own gp ASAP and ask for a rast test. At the least I will have to give up the John Wayne style beekeeping and put the gear on before I drop an empty hive next to a colony that's flying strong :-o oh and after speaking to crabbit dave this morning I should point out my hair isn't always like that :-)

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

I used to swell up that that as a youngster when I got stung by a bee but thankfully I only get minor swelling now.

Quote Originally Posted by snimmo243 View Post

Didn't know Heidi have such effect
    VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had a similar experience my GP advised giving up, oddly much the same as you head like a football . there's a pamphlet in the Moir library advising 2piriton and an aspirin 30 mins before sting every spring. I did it for a few years, haven't bothered for a while and I'm fine now. It goes without saying that if you plan to be stung it's easier on the palm of the hand.

Quote Originally Posted by nemphlar View Post
    It goes without saying that if you plan to be stung it's easier on the palm of the hand.
    Aye next time I will plan it much better :-)

Reminder to self … if shaking through a double brood to harvest nurse bees for mini-nucs make sure to keep the veil on for some time afterwards. I took a direct hit to the left eyebrow and now look as though I've gone a couple of rounds with Manny Pacquiao. I replaced the veil and wandered back to the car to get a drink of water - it was a roasting afternoon. I took the veil off and another one got me on the right cheek.

I drank the water in the car, with the doors and windows shut.

No ill effects … I looked like John Merrick before, and look no better now

Blog Entries

I was stung on the back of the neck last night, a wee bee in my car from transporting an 'empty' brood box & some comb the previous night. So I have swelling this morning around the site (expected) but my eyes are swollen and I have a rash all over, but mainly in the body hot spots (under arms inner thighs etc). Has anyone experienced rashes with stings and if so what did you do. The other half is trying to get me to go to the Dr, but only had antibiotics 10 days ago for infection / cellulitis in my finger from the last sting (whilst trailing the double thick Nitriles may I add). H 😣

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HJBee View Post
    I was stung on the back of the neck last night, a wee bee in my car from transporting an 'empty' brood box & some comb the previous night. So I have swelling this morning around the site (expected) but my eyes are swollen and I have a rash all over, but mainly in the body hot spots (under arms inner thighs etc). Has anyone experienced rashes with stings and if so what did you do. The other half is trying to get me to go to the Dr, but only had antibiotics 10 days ago for infection / cellulitis in my finger from the last sting (whilst trailing the double thick Nitriles may I add). H ��
    Oops over the nitriles! I'm afraid I'm with the other half, H. A rash away from the sting site is not a good sign. I once had a rash all over the torso after a session at the bees that left me light-headed and with that impending doom feeling. All three are signs of an anaphylactic reaction. As I said above the GP sent a blood sample to the Allergy Unit at the big hospital locally and they confirmed an antibody count in a RAST test that indicted a likelihood of an anaphylactic reaction. So I was enrolled on their bee venom desensitisation programme and here I am now. It is not infrequent, I've known several beekeepers and their family members go through this. Not what you wanted to hear, I'm sure. I have heard of people ignoring the warnings and being fine, but I don't think that is sensible when there are tests on offer. Many GPs need nudged about what it available. Maybe Mairi of the Glasgow beekeepers is worth trying on what may be available locally?
    Last edited by gavin; 26-06-2014 at 08:55 AM.

Blog Entries

Thanks Gav, I work in the NHS and will investigate myself. Ho hum. Calling GP now. 😞