Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Chalk brood

It's a long time since I had a copy of Cooper's book but if I remember right it was put together posthumously from his notes. No excuse for not noting gaps in the notes of course but to be fair to Cooper himself we'll never know how he would have presented the information he had or whether he might have wished to carry out more intense tests prior to publishing a book himself (possibly during retirement). The thing which sticks in my mind is that his peer, Donald Sims (while not subscribing to Cooper's idea of the 'best' bee), wrote about him in a positive way.

Interesting conversation none the less.

I do think the time is long overdue for someone to write the book that Cooper's book could have been. It seems nuts that there's no comprehensive modern treatise on AMM when there's so much interest in the subject. Someone needs to apply for funding for this - hint hint Jon, Rosie etc

Not sure how good it is but I did once come across a reference to a modern German language book devoted to amm. If it lives up to it's hype it may just need translating.

edit:
    http://www.nordbiene.de/das-buch-die-dunkle-biene.html
    Last edited by prakel; 07-05-2014 at 06:16 PM.

Low mite counts on chalkbrood colonies might be the effect of mites being killed along with larva sort of brood culling
    Thymol doesn't have much effect in reversing the problem in my experiments
    Nor arranging for the mummies to fall through a queen excluder on the floor into a layer of hiveclean

Tried the heavy feeding with sugar syrup as recommended in Scottish Beekeeper
    Bananas (Australian Idea) banana skins anyway (slipped up there)

The only effective method I have found is to shake all the bees into another box , floor etc. on clean frames new foundation
    Then feed them some ordinary syrup no additive while they get started drawing the wax
    The brood break probably helps as well

Often it stays gone so it might not always be the queen could be moving supers around etc

I just burn the affected combs now rather than treating them with acetic or any thing

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    Tried the heavy feeding with sugar syrup as recommended in Scottish Beekeeper
    Ah, the 'Eureka! I've solved it!' article (with no controls or proper scientific approach?

I find it's just a temporary spring phenomenon and clears itself as the colony develops. The best way of preventing it recurring next spring is to change to fresh comb. I can't remember ever having to resort to a change of queen although I am sure that some colonies are more susceptible than others. I came close to requeening once but they sorted the problem themselves in the nick of time. They must have heard me making plans to requeen.

Like DR I destroy all black or infected comb.
    Last edited by Rosie; 08-05-2014 at 09:48 AM. Reason: added a bit

A couple of years ago I did an experiment and moved a chalk-brood queen to a clean colony and lo - that colony subsequently developed chalk brood instead of the first one! So that would indicate that the CB follows the queen, although clean comb would do no harm and might well help.

With regard to old books, Many of them were very subjective and un-scientific so I do have my concerns about them. Some were openly selling particular equipment of the day too. One I recall suggested a particular brand of petrol mixed up with god-knows-what as a cure for brood diseases. And there's the banging of pots and pans when a swarm issues and all that malarkey!

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    With regard to old books, Many of them were very subjective and un-scientific so I do have my concerns about them. Some were openly selling particular equipment of the day too. One I recall suggested a particular brand of petrol mixed up with god-knows-what as a cure for brood diseases. And there's the banging of pots and pans when a swarm issues and all that malarkey!
    Petrol's still used to cure brood disease in some parts! It was also a constituent of the Frow mix wasn't it?

I reckon that a lot of the old books actually offer a lot of great value, I'm far from close minded when it comes to modern research but I wouldn't be without the old books either.

And there's the banging of pots and pans when a swarm issues and all that malarkey!
    I've seen it work a treat, a swarm dropped from the sky and started clustering on a gorse bush within seconds, magic does happen!

Blog Entries

A couple of years ago I did an experiment and moved a chalk-brood queen to a clean colony and lo - that colony subsequently developed chalk brood instead of the first one! So that would indicate that the CB follows the queen, although clean comb would do no harm and might well help.
    I have seen the same Adam. I am sure there is a large genetic component in it.
    I have moved queens back and forward between apideas and colonies for various reasons and a queen which has chalk brood in a full colony will also show chalk brood in the apidea and vice versa.