Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Chalk brood

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mbc View Post
    while finding it a good read I think I might take any recommendations with a pinch of salt.
    Very wise move MBC.
    A lot of the AMM core beliefs such as AMM living longer than other races can only be found in 'Honeybees of the British Isles' and no other source.
    His books are just his observations and his claims are not based on experimental work.
    A good read but contains a lot of fiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    his claims are not based on experimental work.
    A good read but contains a lot of fiction.
    Are sure about that Jon? He was an entomologist after all and he claims to have marked young bees to test their longevity.

Cooper did mark young amm but there is no corresponding data from other races in that area that season so its not good science.

Blog Entries

He marked 100 bees and found some of them 3 months later. That is all he did. There were no controls with other races.

Proves absolutely nothing.

It proves they can live for 3 months rather than the accepted 6 weeks. Didn't Wedmore say something similar about natives also?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mbc View Post
    Swings and roundabouts in the great balance of life and natural selection, or an apologist for an unwelcome trait?
    Another cracking line from mbc! Probably both though.

Just about everything comes down to swings and roundabouts in the great balance of life and natural selection.

Blog Entries

Rosie.
    If you mark 100 bees from any race I bet you will find a few after 3 months. Cooper did not even carry out this basic control in what would be a GCSE level biology project.

Very wise MBC.
    Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    Another cracking line from mbc!
    Ach! stop it guys my head is swelling!

To be fair to Cooper, he did earn his crust elsewhere, and all these tests would take a lot of time and effort to conduct in a verifiable scientific manner (not to say they werent, shame there isnt an easily accessible catalogue of this sort of work, isnt there a pile of similar sort of work by Mobus?) .

Blog Entries

We had better stop criticising the Holy Scriptures of Bibba - the gospel according to Beowulf.

And on the hundredth day the black bee went forth and verily, they were all amazed and fell down before it!

This could bring a rain of frogs upon us all or worse still a fatwa.

Rosie.
    If you mark 100 bees from any race I bet you will find a few after 3 months. Cooper did not even carry out this basic control in what would be a GCSE level biology project.
    That might be true Jon but has anyone bothered to do such tests other than Cooper? He tested his bees and has offered me one reason why I can see a hive of 6 supers, all full of bees, above a tiny nest in a singe national. As for his test not being a scientific comparison I can't remember him claiming that it was. In fact the only reason why we know that it was not a scientific study is because he was honest enough to explain what he did.