Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Driving bees in Log Hives

Peterborough, and into the flatlands to the north and east ...

Three hives artificially swarmed over the last two weeks to stop them swarming.

The one on Saturday had sealed queen cells and I think it was only the rain that had stopped them from heading out.

Most of my colonies do seem to be strong this year, and about a month ahead of last year.

Back on driving bees, I'd wondered what it meant. Nice to see it being done.

Blog Entries

Thanks for posting that Gavin. I can't of course view the video, but the "arbre aux abeilles" is one of my favourite sites (my avatar comes from it). René, down here, used to run log hives as a boy helping his dad, but switched to Dadants.As pointed out above, the bees were usually killed to get at the honey. But it was a* swarms come, swarms go* era. As for driving bees, everyone says it works. My one experience of trying it was the time that I finished up in hospital so I won't be bothering again.

Blog Entries

Yes, there are lots of mason bees in east belfast, it seems to be a hot spot for them and always on a south facing wall

No English commentary but this is a great video on the theme of French log hives. The privacy settings require that it's watched through vimeo hence it's not been possible to embed it here.

Featuring Paul Chapelle a 'peasant' beekeeper and his black bees in the Cevennes:

http://vimeo.com/user13687887/arbreauxabeilles