Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bee thefts at Coupar Angus

Blog Entries

A beekeeping suit or jacket. Most of the folk in the pictures I've taken at apiaries are unrecognisable.

Sent from my BlackBerry 8520 using Tapatalk

I've considered the wildlife camera thing and would probably point it at the car parking area, however I suspect that unless you put up a sign warning that cctv was in operation, any footage may be inadmissible and you could potentially be open to a breach of civil liberties suit.

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

I think the law is reasonably clear on the legality or otherwise of taking photographs in a public place - it's legal. Roads, and presumably parking places, are public places. Most CCTV cameras aren't signed are they? There's a lot about this on various websites for people with an interest in "street photos". The inadmissibility is a completely different issue. There might well be time/date verification issues.

I'm investing in some of these:

bear-trap.jpg

I wouldn't be to bothered about them being caught by the police they more interested in motorist, it's just finding out who these scum are to name and shame them a thief is a thief and for them to set out to steal this way makes my blood boil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I found a thief on my property , he would of course be carrying a knife with his fingerprints on it and would have attempted to knife me, thus justifying my rendering him unconscious with a worn down cricket bat in self defense.

If I only identified him on camera and the police refused to prosecute, he would find himself in the local paper or on local billboards..and on Facebook , Twitter and other public media..

If he is a beekeeper , then he would find his name and apiary address together with a copy of google maps posted to all local BBKA members..

I'm neither vindictive nor mean...

Quote Originally Posted by madasafish View Post
    If I found a thief on my property , he would of course be carrying a knife with his fingerprints on it and would have attempted to knife me, thus justifying my rendering him unconscious with a worn down cricket bat in self defense.

If I only identified him on camera and the police refused to prosecute, he would find himself in the local paper or on local billboards..and on Facebook , Twitter and other public media..

If he is a beekeeper , then he would find his name and apiary address together with a copy of google maps posted to all local BBKA members..

I'm neither vindictive nor mean...
    Very reasonable

Blog Entries

Gentlemen. The perpetrator is indeed to be reviled and castigated (and preferably caught and punished) but let's stop short of violent thoughts (except when in jest, as one contributer surely means). I doubt Murray would go that far either. He'll be concerned to ensure that the Law catches up with him (or her) and it never happens again, that is all. All of us in the beekeeping community should help with that if we can.

Quote Originally Posted by madasafish View Post
    I see what you did there Madasafish .... how many BBKA members do we have around here?!

G.

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    Gentlemen. The perpetrator is indeed to be reviled and castigated (and preferably caught and punished) but let's stop short of violent thoughts (except when in jest, as one contributer surely means). I doubt Murray would go that far either. He'll be concerned to ensure that the Law catches up with him (or her) and it never happens again, that is all. All of us in the beekeeping community should help with that if we can.

I see what you did there Madasafish .... how many BBKA members do we have around here?!

G.
    Sound advice Gavin, having been involved as a witness in a court case I know that anything written here, on email, text etc is retrievable and can be used as evidence, what we don't want is decent beekeepers falling foul of the law! On the other hand through personal experience I have little faith in the ability and willingness of the polis and the law to protect innocent people!

perhaps the glued on coloured number disks stuck on the queen would be good deterrent
    Bit like branding the hives etc which presumably is why the hives themselves were left

Blog Entries

It's my feeling that some the persons who are doing this could be beekeepers who are not club members but loners or let alone-ers, no-one will ever see the insides of their hives and their hives will be well hidden. They will be aware that hive parts, eg branded frames or boxes could be identified if examined closely so these items will never be sold or put anywhere visible but destroyed by burning to hide the evidence. The bees will be split for selling or sold as a swarm package or just used for the season. Anything that can ID the bees will be destroyed.

The only way to catch them is to photograph vehicle number plates and locating a camera in the correct place to catch this would be difficult. Hive monitors are one way forward, but if the bees are shaken out then there is only about 5 mins to catch the thief in action, a hive monitor would alert you to a distrubance and by the time you got to the apairy the bees and thief are gone.

In N.I. every main route and some minor roads in and out of every town/village is covered by covert CCTV/numberplate recognition systems, something to do with preventing terrorism so the police will know what vehicles are on the road and at what time. Hence our general crime rate is low