Thread: Smith frames converted to national

Default Smith frames converted to national

As I am sure you know, they are the same except smith top bars are 36mm shorter.
    Does anyone know how I can easily attach something to the end of the smith top bars to allow me to use them in a national hive?

Why can't you use them as is? I have the odd Smith frame kicking around in a few of my National hives without any problems.

I use nationals, I always though a smith would just fit in :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They do!

I have (although I don't use them any more) a couple of Smith nucs and have had to cut the lugs down from National frames to fit them in (still with bees attached!). So I still have a few Smith frames going about in my hives although I only use Nationals now.
    Last edited by drumgerry; 19-04-2014 at 06:32 PM.

Blog Entries

You could drill the ends and insert a nail at each end but as Gerry says they fit anyway with the short ass lugs.
    I am the proud owner of a single smith frame which is nestling in a hive at our association apiary.

Ok I will explain the full story.
    I run mainly LS plus a few national.
    I attended a convention and bought some swienty polynucs (LS size) and the person on the stand said they could also be used with national frames, there is a slot to take an 18mm piece of plywood cut to size. Looked fine.
    However, upon return it is obvious that they have been designed to take smith frames when the ply blank is inserted. The national frames with their longer lugs do not fit properly. Bee space is all wrong.
    So, my plan to use them for national nucs needs to be sorted.
    Long term the best option is to blank each end off with ply so they take nats.
    But, as I want to use them for both LS and nats then this is not so convenient.
    Chopping off the end of the nationals to fit and then extending them again was one idea.
    Probably not my best.

Just to add, was wondering if there was some fancy metal extender thingy but a nail in the end looks as good as any.

Of course, as you have all told me that smith frames fit in a national obvious thing is just to cut them down to smith length and then I will still be able to use in a nat.
    Last edited by Black Comb; 19-04-2014 at 07:43 PM.

Thornes make and sell a frame lug repair kit - I recon this would do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Comb View Post
    Long term the best option is to blank each end off with ply so they take nats.
    But, as I want to use them for both LS and nats then this is not so convenient.
    If you cut your ply carefully you could end up with a set up where the blanks are removable but equally firm enough to stay in position without 'fixings' while in use.

Thanks Prakel. That is my plan. Hope my table saw fence is accurate.
    However, after faffing about with both lang and national frames today I am considering selling off my national kit.
    I enjoy working with langs. hives so much more.

Thinking about the depth of the division to accommodate a national lug it shouldn't really be too difficult to get a 'fix' against the poly walls, a lot of contact area to assist you. Not that I'd argue against loosing the nationals if you prefer the langstroth.