Thread: KTBH mesh floor

Default KTBH mesh floor

Hi guys, I've gone for a KTBH and it has a mesh floor. Does anyone cover/block their mesh floor in winter to stop cold wind from getting in or do you not bother?

Blog Entries

I don't bother on my box hives and friends I know who use tbh tend not to bother even if they've built an insert or hinge on the bottom.

With the combs drawn I think the air movement is reasonably minimal. I know a few people who monitor temperature within Hives and it is remarkably stable, even post inspection, regardless of the hive type.

Ok, thank you, Neils. I'll monitor how it goes at the time.

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Neils View Post
    ... With the combs drawn I think the air movement is reasonably minimal. I know a few people who monitor temperature within Hives and it is remarkably stable ...
    That's interesting - makes me feel slightly less worried about the effect of the wind on my hives. But still, Nui, I keep my varroa boards in, although I've drilled a few holes in them (like Neil - box hives).

I'm busy making a TBH and was going to use a mesh floor, then realised I haven't considered how to make the varroa insert and close the hive when necessary - so I've changed my mind. I'm now going to use a hinged solid floor with a few holes in it (covered with mesh) for ventilation. I'm scared of the wind blowing into my hives.

My problem is that I'm 360 feet up with nothing between me and the north pole so, like you, wind can be a real problem especially at the start of this past winter when we had gusts of around 80 mph in rapid succession - doesn't matter where your hives are in those winds. Thankfully they're not frequently of that scale but this year was the exception early on in the winter.

Blog Entries

Are you sure that a KTBH is the way to go in your environment? The failure rate for beginners in better insulated, more easily managed hives is high enough already. I have to say however that I'm assuming your site is even worse than Mellifera Crofter's - things might be different if you were on some soft southern hill rather than looking out across the wild seas from a hill near Thurso or on the Isle of Lewis (not that Lewis has hills, they all blew down ages ago).

If you are sure I gather Drumgerry in Speyside had some going spare if you are near him, but when I last heard of them he was planning converting them to troughs for alpines, self-disposing barbeques and other items of garden furniture!
    Last edited by gavin; 08-04-2014 at 09:24 AM.

It should be fine for me because weather like that isn't normal - yet. Usually it's not that cold or stormy and where my hive is is normally quiet and only really bothered by westerly winds that are usually warm.

Blog Entries

Ah, did wonder - hence the edit above.

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    self-disposing barbeques and other items of garden furniture!
    Excellent

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Neils View Post
    With the combs drawn I think the air movement is reasonably minimal. .
    From my observation of drawn comb, without foundation, the cells at the bottom are angled slightly downwards and this probably acts as a buffer against incoming wind.