Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Using invertase

Quote Originally Posted by Feckless Drone View Post
    Nah! We know you have a shed now.
    I have a shed as well
    It's not a bee shed though except in the sense of storing all the gear in it
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 29-10-2015 at 01:22 PM. Reason: off topic again lol!

Quote Originally Posted by mbc View Post
    I feed just over a ton of sugar - mixed up at home- and disagree about the comparable price, my ton of dry sugar being much cheaper than I could get a ton of ambrosia etc.
    My supplier.....currently Belgosuc..........has made me promise not to circulate the price I get their product for.

A clue could be that I was offered the Nordzucker equivalent product.....Ambrosia.........at a shade over £500 a tonne...so 50p a kilo.

The other product was a smidgin more than a shade cheaper than Ambrosia..

Last fondant I bought was 7.65 per 12.5Kg block. Sometimes we need to buy the far more expensive 2.5Kg prepacked stuff as it is ideal for certain jobs. Sugar has become cheaper since then and I understand that in a pallet amount it will be under 7 pounds (a fair bit under) this year.

Many of you need to get your acts together and do association purchases (if you dont already) and go as far back up the supply chain as you can. The very idea of paying way over 1.00 per kg for syrup gives me the collywobbles.

Mind you, the same applies to frames wax and all manner of consumables and hardware. Gang up and shop around, and forget this British disease of being cussedly different about hives etc. Large uniform markets equals better volumes at the maker and lower prices. British diversity (and fussy perfectionism) equals very small production runs and high, or even stratospheric, prices.

For interested LOCALS.....come along with your own containers and you can have invert from me at whatever the price of the load was plus a small amount for handling as I am paying the wages of the people working here. Current collected rate with your own containers is 58p per kilo. Has been up to 80p in the past.

You all know who calluna4u is and where you can find me.

Also....to compare sugar made from white sugar and commercial invert syrup you also have to take into account any manufacturing losses, electricity if any, containers, losses from fermentation, and the percentage lost in conversion from pure sucrose syrup, and in our case, staff wages (most amateurs value their time at zero). Finally you come to logistics, we would have real problems getting it all done in time AND your window to use the stuff is a good couple of weeks longer.

To admin;- This is NOT a commercial posting. I am not seeking to make money from selling syrup, its pretty much an 'at cost' exercise to help others.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Calluna4u View Post
    To admin;- This is NOT a commercial posting. I am not seeking to make money from selling syrup, its pretty much an 'at cost' exercise to help others.
    I know .

You forgot to mention the relationship stress costs of spilling syrup on cookers,work surfaces & flooring or using a recycled container that sprung a leak in the hall

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

I agree! Over the summer I prepared some sugar syrup for nucs and poured it into a plastic milk bottle to carry to the apiary. It fell out of my hands in the kitchen and burst open like an exploding bomb: sugar syrup splattered everywhere right up to the ceiling. A nightmare to clean up!
    Kitta

Quote Originally Posted by EK.Bee View Post
    You forgot to mention the relationship stress costs of spilling syrup on cookers,work surfaces & flooring or using a recycled container that sprung a leak in the hall
    Lol ....at least that's one thing I don't need to worry about. No-one to give me the ear damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Mellifera Crofter View Post
    I agree! Over the summer I prepared some sugar syrup for nucs and poured it into a plastic milk bottle to carry to the apiary. It fell out of my hands in the kitchen and burst open like an exploding bomb: sugar syrup splattered everywhere right up to the ceiling. A nightmare to clean up!
    Kitta
    Open the doors and let the bees in ?
    second thoughts maybe not

I make most mess extracting honey

Ron Brown wrote in one of his books about making syrup and said rather than hot water just use cold and stir every hour or so till dissolved
    haven't tried that due to laziness but with a slow stirring mechanism could be an easy route Apparently car wiper motors are a possibility ?